mtbr member
    Sep 2004

How to lighten BB7's?

I want to try lo shave some weight of my BB7s but I donīt know where to start.

Housings? rotors?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Alligator serrated rotors (best bang for the buck). Avid Speed Dial SL levers. For the housing I would go for best performance and not for best weight. Furthermore you could use titanium bolts everywhere - but too much money for the weight savings e.g. The older BB7 caliper is somewhat leighter than the '08 model.

Here is a very good thread towards the BB7 weight issue:
    The definitive Avid BB7 weight thread...

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Well.

I'm already using the SL levers and the pre 2007 calipers but I've read that the Alligators 'eat' the pads. Is it true?

My housings are the standard shimano but I know there are better housings. Any suggestions?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by genci
    Well.

I'm already using the SL levers and the pre 2007 calipers but I've read that the Alligators 'eat' the pads. Is it true?

My housings are the standard shimano but I know there are better housings. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Always put new pads on with new rotors and you will be fine, the alligators are well worth the upgrade

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Any special pad compound for the Alligators?

mtbr member
    any compound will work

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Because the Alligator Windcutters have an open/aggressive design many people reported that they do better work with sintered pads. I use EBC gold and I'm very satisfied with this combination.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by trelgne
    Because the Alligator Windcutters have an open/aggressive design many people reported that they do better work with sintered pads. I use EBC gold and I'm very satisfied with this combination.
    Bingo!!