Mouth-Breather / Huffer

How to install Avid BB7 disc brakes

I need to upgrade the brakes and, based on the info, reviews and insights from my fellow MTBR members, I settled on Avid BB7 mechanical disc brakes. I've never installed disc brakes before and I thought I would summarize some of the info I found in earlier threads on the matter for those who may also need a little guidance related to installation.

None of this info is original to me and credit should be given to the original members who posted the info. My apologies if this post is overkill, unnecessary or too terribly redundant.

Installation video of Avid BB7 brakes:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1kezXQVnLY

And here is the Park Tool How-to for Avid Mechanical Disc Adjustment:
    http://www.parktool.com/repair/printhowto.asp?id=124

A little more BB7 install info (independent blog):
    http://www.twowheelblogs.com/avid-bb...g#comment-5563

Aligning pads to rotors on BB7s
    Aligning pads to rotors on BB7's

Here's a quick (i.e. not thorough, nor definitive) thread about replacement pads for Avids:
    BB7 replacement pads?

ballbuster

The last part of that vid...

... is super important, and many if not most Avid mech owners seem to get it wrong.

When the pads wear, do not adjust the grab point by moving your lever's barrel adjuster. Use the red knobs to adjust the contact grab point. Also, give the lever a good firm pull after each time you move the knob to be sure it's all seated and adjusted. If you adjust the pad knob, and the brakes still rub, it's because you didn't move the pads by pulling the lever.

It's easier to simply read the installation instructions from Avid IMHO that screw around with all those links...YMMV. http://sram.com/_media/techdocs/08%2...%20Rev%20C.pdf

ps except for the torque shown for the rotor bolts, it's a misprint, should be 55 in/lb
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Sweet, I just got my set in yesterday. I will have to watch it tonight when I install them.

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    It's easier to simply read the installation instructions from Avid IMHO that screw around with all those links...YMMV. http://sram.com/_media/techdocs/08%2...%20Rev%20C.pdf

ps except for the torque shown for the rotor bolts, it's a misprint, should be 55 in/lb
    I think you're quite right. The question still seems to come up often, however. It may be that the people asking the question are similar to me - we haven't purchased the brakes yet and are wondering what the process for installation may be.

As you have wisely suggested, the original SRAM instructions should be consulted and followed during the actual installation process.

Quote Originally Posted by dog.gone
    I think you're quite right. The question still seems to come up often, however. It may be that the people asking the question are similar to me - we haven't purchased the brakes yet and are wondering what the process for installation may be.

As you have wisely suggested, the original SRAM instructions should be consulted and followed during the actual installation process.
    I've seen a few different videos and I guess for some that's preferable, but some leave details out that need addressing whereas for most products everything needed is in the instructions...or the service manual also online at SRAM's website should you run into problems afterwards. I just looked at your youtube link, didn't realize that was HB's presentation for Avid, thought that would have a SRAM address...here's another vid from Avid hosted on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLzw7c6oNiM

I'm just not a video kind of guy...much prefer something I can read.
    suum quique

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    That's totally reasonable and I concur completely. While my ADD tends to hinder my ability to assimilate written service manuals effectively, such manuals are critical to a proper installation.

Thanks for adding the new YouTube link!

EDIT:
    Wow, the quality of that video is much better. If you don't mind, I'm going to embed into this post. Thanks again!

AVID BBDB Install Video

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    now I am confused, this is my first set of disk brakes and I set my rotor at 80-90 inch/pd

everything is running very smoothly, no rub, 1 finger fantastic braking

so should I go back and take off the rotors and redo at 55 inch/pd ???

am I doing any damage to the rotors??

FWIW I was out riding today and was just thinking how great the BB7's are....

~Disc~Golf~
    ^^^ eh, you may want to so you can get em off easier down the road (think possible galvanic corrosion+high torque=PITA to get off sometimes) - but I don't think your "hurting" them
    Honestly, you just take a deep breath and say Fuck it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    ^^^ eh, you may want to so you can get em off easier down the road (think possible galvanic corrosion+high torque=PITA to get off sometimes) - but I don't think your "hurting" them

thanks, I thought maybe by tightening too much it might warp the rotor in some way

I'm not worried about corrosion, I put grease/anti seize on everything I install so I am not worried about that

Quote Originally Posted by doco
    thanks, I thought maybe by tightening too much it might warp the rotor in some way

I'm not worried about corrosion, I put grease/anti seize on everything I install so I am not worried about that
    Biggest concern for me would be twisting the head of the screw right off...which I've done with a torque wrench on some stock bolts (and wouldn't consider that normal by any means) even at 55 in/lbs let alone at nearly double that...once installed I wouldn't worry about it so much but it sure would be nice if they fixed that. The Avid rotors themselves still have the correct spec printed on them in any case...and I've seen lower values quoted by other manufacturers for their rotors, FWIW.
    suum quique

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by doco
    I put grease/anti seize on everything I install so I am not worried about that
    I was under the impression that your rotor bolts are one place you don't want to use anti-seize
    Maybe I'm wrong? But I use blue loc-tite

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    Okay, I just installed my Speed Dials and tomorrow I install my 185mm BB7 Front Caliper. Wish me luck!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I found this link to be the most helpful when installing the BB7's and levers last week. Unfortunately it has been raining a lot here lately, so all the trails are closed and I cant test them out.

http://www.twowheelblogs.com/avid-bb...set-and-tuning

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife

I think that the following BB7/BB5 Installation & Setup Guide is a bit easier to follow then the new one: BB7 Installation & Setup Guide

BB7 Pad Installation Instructions

BBDB/BB7 Overhaul Guide

BB5/BB7 Service Guide
    Last edited by cobba; 01-31-2014 at 04:29 PM.

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    Great additions, cobba & texasaggie!

I just finished installing my front BB7 with 185mm rotor. It was fairly basic, even for someone as mechanically dis-inclined as myself. I still have a bit of warble to adjust out, but the stopping power is already vastly improved over my stock Tektros.

Mouth-Breather / Huffer

Cable Installation / Cable Housing Prep Revisited

Mouth-Breather / Huffer
    I'm so happy with the new BB7s I recently installed on the front, I'm going to rectify my ghetto ways and install the BB7s on the back too. The BB7s really are a huge improvement over my stock Tektros.

All-most Mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by dog.gone
    The BB7s really are a huge improvement over my stock Tektros.
    I recently was blessed by this same epiphany

Its as if the tektros were a fred flintstone foot brake

Mouth-Breather / Huffer

Avid BB7 Related Threads

Last edited by dog.gone; 06-09-2009 at 04:49 PM.

mtbr member
    Can normal brake lines be used or do you really need to use the Avid Full Metal Jacket Cable kit?
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Dremer03 View Post
    Can normal brake lines be used or do you really need to use the Avid Full Metal Jacket Cable kit?
    Whay is this Full Metal kit? Something we order seperatley, or can I use a 'jagwire kit?

~Disc~Golf~
    The full metal jacket is kinda nice (disclaimer* - I run that system) as your straight runs are protected by a tube that's frictionless.

But the jagwire will work fine too

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I just bought 2013 BB7's. Can these instructions still be applied to mine? Thanks

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TheeSuperUberV View Post
    I just bought 2013 BB7's. Can these instructions still be applied to mine? Thanks
    BB7's haven't changed much over the years, an old setup guide will still work on new brakes.

BB7 Installation & Setup Guide