Just Ride

how important are the cable ferrules?

So my new BB7s arrived today with spd 7 levers and some blue cable housing and new cables. Stupid me forgot to order some ferrules. How important are they? Do I actually need them or not? I can't get the old ones off the old cables. So I'm wondering what will happen if I install new housing without them? I'm thinking the housing won't last as long.
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

LightJunction.com
    Well, I'd definitely recommend using ferrules, but I'm not sure you're required to for brake housing...there may be some requirement due to the differences between disc brakes and standard brakes that I'm not aware of. Many road bikes don't use them, for what it's worth. Older road bikes have cable stops that are too small to accommodate the ferrules--they're just large enough for the brake housing. Many modern STI brake levers are the same way.

Shifting ferrules are much more important, for the record. The ferrules keep the compressionless housing from coming apart.

When building up a bike or installing new cables, I personally use ferrules. They're cheap and easy to get. Many times the bike shop will just have a few laying around that they'll toss your way without charge. Seems like a small price to pay to avoid the potential of ruining your housing and losing your brakes mid-ride.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

mtbr member
    With compressionless housing they are essential, with spiral-wound housing, they are a really, really good idea.
    Do you have an LBS? They'll have some.
    Seems a shame to mess up a new brake installation over them.

mtbr member
    Go get them, especially if you're counting on them for mechanical discs. Without ferrules you'll have a really mushy brake lever as well as a larger opening for dirt to get into the housing.

Just Ride
    Cool, I'll pick some up. I was just wondering since I wanna get the new brakes on and start breaking em in, my LBS is closed on Wednesdays. No matter, I'll just pick up 4 tomorrow morning and finish the brakes then.

mtbr member
    At first on the shop or workshop floor they make no difference, so lazy mechanics who don't ride often don't fit them. But out on the trails they make all the difference in the world, a helping give consistent braking action.

Just Ride
    how do I clamp them? I have the park tools cable cutters.

conjoinicorned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cormac View Post
    how do I clamp them? I have the park tools cable cutters.
    The park cutters have a ferrule squisher built in
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

What could go wrong ...
    I just push them on ... I don't clamp them with anything
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

High Gravity Haze
    Are you talking about cable housing ferrules or cable tips? If it's housing ferrules and they are too big, you need to go find the correct size of ferrule. In my experience I've never had to clamp housing ferrules, they just slide on snugly and stay.

Just Ride
    housing ferrules. I have to go in the morning and get some. would be nice if I could get the old ones off, but they ain't budging. Which is why I figured they needed to be clamped.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    no need to clamp them. when you set everything up and the cables have proper tension, they will stay put.
    Juice

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Oem cables may well have crimped ends as they can be assembled in a factory as stock lengths of outer with ends firmly in place for packaging/storage. Normally you don't crimp as that could lead to increased drag on the inner
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

LightJunction.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Juicen View Post
    no need to clamp them. when you set everything up and the cables have proper tension, they will stay put.
    Yep.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cormac View Post
    housing ferrules. I have to go in the morning and get some. would be nice if I could get the old ones off, but they ain't budging. Which is why I figured they needed to be clamped.
    try gently heating up the old ferrule with a lighter, then pull and/or wiggle the ferrule off with a pliers (without squishing it!). This will work if they crammed some housing into the ferrule when they originally installed it.