Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33
  1. #1
    I think we should go back
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    583

    How hot have you ever gotten your brakes?

    Has anyone been going down a long steep hill and something happens? (smoking brakes or bad smell or something) What happens if they get too hot?

  2. #2
    I am a pathetic rider...
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    645
    If they get too hot, the most immediate and noticeable thing that happens is your brakes pump up and fade. If they get hotter than that, the pads may glaze, leading to a semi permanent loss of power, until you get a hold of some sandpaper.
    Save the Earth, Ride a Cyclist

  3. #3
    I think we should go back
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    583
    Im not sure what pump up and fade means really.

  4. #4
    I think I need to Upgrade
    Reputation: AzSpeedfreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,621
    Quote Originally Posted by drain bamage
    Im not sure what pump up and fade means really.


    Fade mean the brake lever goes soft or mushy when you pull it, and there is a decreased braking power and/or strength.

    I have heated up brakes to the point the rotor could sizzle water and it burnt my finger, and on another bike faded to the point of having almost no brakes.

  5. #5
    Big Gulps, Alright!
    Reputation: Berkley's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    3,219
    I've heated up discs where they'll burn your skin pretty nicely (called rotor burn) and the rotors turn colors.

  6. #6
    mbtr member
    Reputation: scottzg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,861
    I've gotten my 7" front brake glowing on a night ride when my rear brake died. It was pretty sketch.
    .

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    55
    don't know how hot but 30 minutes after a ride and I was cleaning my bike, fingers got to close to the front rotor and it burnt me. It has been about 4 months since and I still have a scar.
    [SIZE="2"]2009 Trek 6700D [/SIZE]

  8. #8
    Dirt Deviant
    Reputation: savagemann's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    3,694
    I was taking a breather after a long descent and I could not only smell my brakes from about 10 feet away, as I approached my bike I could feel the heat of the brakes from a few feet away........rotors were blue. Shortly after that I switched to larger rotors........= )
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

  9. #9
    Urban to Mountian Rider
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    150
    NICE. i have heated mine until they could sizzle water as well :-P

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    917
    You guys use your brakes way to much

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Arek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    784
    Quote Originally Posted by steveo555
    ...30 minutes after a ride and I was cleaning my bike, fingers got to close to the front rotor and it burnt me.
    30 minutes later?...

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by AzSpeedfreek
    Fade mean the brake lever goes soft or mushy when you pull it, and there is a decreased braking power and/or strength.
    Mushy or soft brake lever is only one type of fade... it indicates the fluid has gotten too hot. I've never experienced this type of fade.

    However, I have experienced mechanical fade in which the pads/rotors became too hot. My levers felt great, but there was little to no stopping power left. It happened after an entire day of DH; on the last few runs, my brakes were cooked.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BitterDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    428
    I've discolored a rotor and turned the backing plate blueish purple.

  14. #14
    ride hard take risks
    Reputation: dogonfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    25,589
    Quote Originally Posted by Arek
    30 minutes later?...
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

  15. #15
    I think we should go back
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    583
    The most I have done to my rim brakes is get them luke warm when going downhill or just pedaling really hard while on the brakes. Rim brakes dont get nearly as hot as disks

  16. #16
    MONKEYMAN
    Reputation: finger51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    792
    Mine were so hot I pulled the front wheel off the bike and boiled a pot of water for a nice linguine dinner with chopped bacon and peas. Had an onion tied to my belt the whole time. Good times.
    “I don't like jail, they got the wrong kind of bars in there”

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    267
    Quote Originally Posted by finger51
    Mine were so hot I pulled the front wheel off the bike and boiled a pot of water for a nice linguine dinner with chopped bacon and peas. Had an onion tied to my belt the whole time. Good times.
    Whoa, that's what I had for dinner last night! However, the water was boiled in a more conventional manner.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    534
    Quote Originally Posted by rmccully
    Whoa, that's what I had for dinner last night! However, the water was boiled in a more conventional manner.
    The heat from an old single-pivot road bike caliper and sew-up rim?

  19. #19
    Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Reputation: Acme54321's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    2,755
    Quote Originally Posted by steveo555
    don't know how hot but 30 minutes after a ride and I was cleaning my bike, fingers got to close to the front rotor and it burnt me. It has been about 4 months since and I still have a scar.

    Bulllllshit
    "Listen here you beautiful *****, I'm about to **** you up with some truth"

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,297
    No you silly, he ate the onion tied to his belt. *pictures a twisted version of the hanging apple game from halloween*

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by scottzg
    I've gotten my 7" front brake glowing on a night ride when my rear brake died. It was pretty sketch.

  22. #22
    Double-metric mtb man
    Reputation: Psycho Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    4,483
    Well, I've had the floating rotors on my brakes making all sorts of cooling pings after some faster runs while doing some park riding... but I haven't been able to full on cook them yet


    My previous brakes were faded out a few times on lesser trails...the reason I went to bigger rotors and then better brakes.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

    Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    55
    Originally Posted by steveo555
    don't know how hot but 30 minutes after a ride and I was cleaning my bike, fingers got to close to the front rotor and it burnt me. It has been about 4 months since and I still have a scar.
    Bulllllshit
    I am serious dude, the 15-30 minutes was the bike on the rack driving back home. Pulled out the garden hose and started to spray down the wheels, cleaning spokes with my hand and the edge of the disk burnt my knuckles on my hand. I still have red triangle shapes burnt on my hand from the edge of the avid disk. BTW I am using Juicy 3's so I do not know if they are the best at cooling off.
    [SIZE="2"]2009 Trek 6700D [/SIZE]

  24. #24
    MTB Addict
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    631
    Bicycle disks are too small to retain that much heat. Short of 5lb+ rotors or melting them into a liquid puddle, they would be cooled after 15 minutes, especially with the airflow from driving. And no, it doesn't matter how hot they were, they'd still be cool.

  25. #25
    I Love my Rize
    Reputation: danoalb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    766

    Gotta call ya on that one

    Quote Originally Posted by steveo555
    I am serious dude, the 15-30 minutes was the bike on the rack driving back home. Pulled out the garden hose and started to spray down the wheels, cleaning spokes with my hand and the edge of the disk burnt my knuckles on my hand. I still have red triangle shapes burnt on my hand from the edge of the avid disk. BTW I am using Juicy 3's so I do not know if they are the best at cooling off.
    Raising the bullsh!t flag on that one.............
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Early to bed early to RIZE makes a man healthy, wealthy <(scratch that) and wize.

    RIGHTY on a LEFTY

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •