How to hide V-brake Posts?

Hey guys i need some advice. I just recently swapped out my v-brakes for bb7's on my commuter bike and after trying for over two hours to remove the V-brake post ive given up on it, but now i remember someone said there is a cap for them does anyone know where they would sell them i tried looking on Google but couldn't find anything

Hack Racer
    You can unscrew/unthread the post. Then you install a plastic cap...

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...01&category=18

Quote Originally Posted by Cheers!
    You can unscrew/unthread the post. Then you install a plastic cap...

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...01&category=18
    yeah that would work if i could get the posts off there on there rock tight ive tried everything including vice-grips with no luck

mtbr member
    I removed mine w/ crescent(adjustable) wrench and nearly rounded it. They're on there pretty tight.

Hack Racer
    most likely they were installed with red loctite (pernament strength). Take a BBQ lighter and heat the post until it gets hot. Then try taking the stud off. Usually the stud has a hex for an allen key to be used. Or it has flats like pedal flats. Forget the cresent wrenches. Or vice grips or adjustable wrenches. Find a real metric spanner wrench (non adjustable wrench) or use the allen key to remove the stud.

Beware the Blackbuck!
    Mar 2008

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    ...some brake posts cant be removed. i.e. welded/brazed or bonded into the frame or fork. dont try to hard.

Beware the Blackbuck!
    Mar 2008
    I'm fairly certain that they can all be removed with my above sighted method.

Here's a more explicit picture.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I've removed lots of V brake studs for disc conversions. The 9mm wrench flats never work. The thread-locker is too tight and the wrench is too wimpy, so I always used to use vice grips. They work, but usually mangle the stud. If you want to go back to Vs for whatever reason, you usually have to buy new studs, which usually runs about $10. Still, thats $10 I could spend on something else. Here is the way I do it now. NOTE: This only works on frames without a blind stud hole. In other words, if you take the V-Brake off and look down the hole where the V brake screw goes, you should be able to see daylight. Take the brake off and thread the brake screw all the way down into the stud. The head of the screw should be touching the V brake stud. Now take an M6x1.00mm bolt about 50mm long that is threaded the whole length of the bolt (I got mine at Lowes) and thread it in the BACK of the V brake stud until it touches the end of the V brake bolt screwed in from the front. Tighten the M6 bolt with a 10mm socket against the V brake bolt while holding it with an allen wrench. As you TIGHTEN the M6 bolt against the V brake bolt from the back, this LOOSENS the threads on the V brake stud that holds it in the frame. Once you get the stud loose, loosen the V brake bolt and the M6 bolt and take them out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Just in case...

If you have an older zoki fork, don't remove them. Disastrous results...

Quote Originally Posted by Sghost
    Just in case...

If you have an older zoki fork, don't remove them. Disastrous results...
    Not all the Marzocchi forks use the brake posts in that respect...some were fine with removal, some not.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

actually it was for a Manitou Axel fork and a 2003 specialized rockhopper comp that i couldnt get them off of. I already swapped forks to the front are no longer an issue but the rear posts are still there and driving me nuts

~Disc~Golf~
    if ya got a pencil iron (soldering iron w/ a skinny tip), you could try letting it sit inside the stud for a bit.
    you may need to let it cool for a bit afterwords as metal expands when heated ( although the alum may expand even more so you may be ok)
    -worth a shot at least

also, you can try giving the studs some firm whacks w/ a hammer - maybe even wrap on 'em as you try and turn the wrench.

good luck
    Honestly... ahh I give up