mtbr member

New question here. How hard is it to install a new hydraulic brake line?

I have a Y2K Trek 8500 with hayes hydraulics and punched a hole in the rear line. I can get some new line but I think I have to crimp and finish the end pieces .... that's the part I'm not sure how to do.

1. Where is a good place to buy brake line and fittings?

2. Is there a procedure to crimp the ends properly?

I don't think bleeding them will be too difficult, I've done that before.

Thanks for any help.
    Mountain bike riding is the new dirt bike riding. It's cheaper and you don't get shot at as often.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hydro line isn't crimped, it is cut and has hollow barbs driven in that then butt up against compression fittings, which seal the system. Jagwire makes complete kits (under the Hyflow moniker) that supply the necessary fittings/hosing to complete a hydraulic system. The most important part of sizing hydraulic line is the cut being clean and square, which can be accomplished with an exacto knife or sharp razor, but is easiest with a hydraulic line cutter (or very sharp housing cutters). The kits, if I remember correctly, come with all the instructions you need.

Extra Crispy
    The Hayes lines have a crimped on banjo fitting in the rear. The barb fitting is only at the lever.
    Now with eggs.

mtbr member
    Thanks, I'll have to measure it and find out who sells the kits. If they come with instructions, that sould help.
    Mountain bike riding is the new dirt bike riding. It's cheaper and you don't get shot at as often.

The hose will come with the crimped piece already installed. You'll just have to cut the other end and install the compression fitting. The bonus is that you can cut it to the perfect length, without the ridiculous clown-loops of hose that are so frequently seen on the trail. Just don't cut it TOO short; make it long enough so you can turn the wheel all the way around to either side without the hose binding.