mtbr member

How to get rid of brake squeal

I have Hayes HFX-9's and my back brake squeals like a stuck pig. I've changed out pads, cleaned the rotor with alcohol, sanded it, took it off and cleaned the mounting surfaces, and retorqued. Any ideas on how to get rid of the noise? The bike is an '05 Fisher Sugar 292. It vibrates up through the seat, so not only is the sound annoying...

Old Bald Dude

Try this . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDee
    I have Hayes HFX-9's and my back brake squeals like a stuck pig. I've changed out pads, cleaned the rotor with alcohol, sanded it, took it off and cleaned the mounting surfaces, and retorqued. Any ideas on how to get rid of the noise? The bike is an '05 Fisher Sugar 292. It vibrates up through the seat, so not only is the sound annoying...
    Try putting a 45 degree chamfer on the leading edge of the pads. Leading edge being the edge of the pad that the rotor turns into while the bike is rolling in the forward direction.

I do this with my Hope Minis on my Zoke Z1-XFly fork. It certainly helps in this application. It should help in yours as well.

Enjoy,

Chris

Over the Hill
    On two bikes major noise;Turner 5-spot (King Hubs Mavic 521 rim rear, no noise from front...is a 8 inch rotor) and Kona Unit; front and back squealing (King front, Paul Word Hub back 721 Mavic rims) both bikes Hayes Mags. Tried different pads, cleaning, blue gew...ect. no luck. Hotter they got the more noise they made.

In disperation switched to Hayes wavey rotors....don't know why...both bikes rarely any brake squeal. Just a little bit after getting wet.