mtbr member
    Mar 2012

how to get longer pull on hydro brake lever (hayes mag)

I really want to get a longer pull on my brake lever ( brakes engage closer to handlebars) and I just haven't been able to figure out how. I have tried screwing the little adjuster in the lever and I have bled the brakes and im not sure what else to do. I have hayes hydro mag brakes. Any ideas would be very helpful. Thank you!

mtbr member
    Those are pretty old brakes, and by todays standards, pretty 'wooden' (on/off with little modulation) in how they feel. You will be limited in how you can adjust the feel unfortunately. On the up-side, there are great deals on brakes these days, check out Shimano's SLX brakes, they will blow your old Hayes out of the water.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinS View Post
    they will blow your old Hayes out of the water.
    and up onto shore..

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    ya I just dont have the money for that right now so if there is any other ideas that would be cool. But I understand there pretty obsolete I will definitely need to invest into better one someday.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I'm not 100% sure I get what you're after, but if your brakes don't have engage adjust (my Avids don't), you pretty much have to use the amount of brake fluid as your method to adjust how close to the grip the brake engages. When you bleed your caliper, you generally keep the brake lever depressed, and after sucking out all the air bubbles from the caliper, you then push in fluid while letting go of the brake lever. If you don't let it go all the way out, this will effectively limit the range of the lever, so that should accomplish what you are after.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    On the Mags (and HFX's I believe) there's a 2 or 2.5mm screw you can use to adjust where the lever sits at rest. Screw that in to bring the lever in a bit, then pull out the wheel and pads, and use a 10mm box wrench to set the calipers back into the housing a bit. Reinstall the pads and wheel, and pump the brakes a bit, your bite point should be closer to the bar now. This is because now when you depress the lever, it's not moving as far, and not pushing the calipers out to their rest point until the lever is closer to the bar.