Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    33

    How to get 8" rotor for 6" system

    what all would i have to do to get the 8" rotor on the hfx hayes 6" system?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: E-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    266
    Quote Originally Posted by IrightI
    what all would i have to do to get the 8" rotor on the hfx hayes 6" system?
    You'll need to buy the 8" rotors and the correct adapters to space your caliper farther out.
    MTB - Niner Jet9 RDO
    MTB - '10 S-WORKS 29er hardtail
    Road - '11 Specialized Roubaix Pro

    Oakley - High Definition Optics

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    33
    would the extra braking power be worth the trouble..will i notice the difference?

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by IrightI
    would the extra braking power be worth the trouble..will i notice the difference?
    You will notice a big change in power switching to 8" rotors. Question is if you need the extra power or not depending on where and what you ride and if it's worth the price. Hayes 8" rotors are around $50/each and adapters around $15/each New.. Note that some bikes can't run the 8" rotor in the rear because it doesn't clear the chainstay.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by donyel
    You will notice a big change in power switching to 8" rotors. Question is if you need the extra power or not depending on where and what you ride and if it's worth the price. Hayes 8" rotors are around $50/each and adapters around $15/each New.. Note that some bikes can't run the 8" rotor in the rear because it doesn't clear the chainstay.
    that was my next question...will i be able to fit a 8" rotor on a liquid 10?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by IrightI
    that was my next question...will i be able to fit a 8" rotor on a liquid 10?
    The only way to be sure, if you haven't seen another liquid10 with 8"ers is to take it to a good local shop, undo the old rotor and bolt on the shops spare 8" (unbolt the rear adapter/calibper combo so it's not in the way when reinstalling the wheel), then just tighten the wheel into the dropouts and you'll know right away if it works or not. It's normal to only have 3-5 mm's clearance.

Similar Threads

  1. What lighting system are you using?
    By Trevor! in forum Endurance XC Racing
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 06-18-2004, 11:48 AM
  2. WTF?! Bogus reviews on MTBR
    By weather in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 03-02-2004, 04:27 PM
  3. New inexpensive light system
    By tl1 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-20-2004, 05:53 PM
  4. Nicest light cable system?
    By Hardtailforever in forum Weight Weenies
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-20-2004, 06:29 AM
  5. Good lightweight cable system? (X-post from weight weanies)
    By Hardtailforever in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-18-2004, 09:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •