mtbr member
    Jan 2004

How to fix a bent rotor?

I crashed and bent my rear Marta SL rotor. It's not too bad, just a 1 or 2mm wobble, but it's enough to really rub and drag on on the pads. Bummer.

Any suggestions for a fix? Is there a way to straighten the rotor, or will the pads adjust to the wobble?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinhead
    I crashed and bent my rear Marta SL rotor. It's not too bad, just a 1 or 2mm wobble, but it's enough to really rub and drag on on the pads. Bummer.

Any suggestions for a fix? Is there a way to straighten the rotor, or will the pads adjust to the wobble?
    There are actual rotor truing tools that will do the trick but they are expensive,i run Hayes rotors and i've just bent them back with my hands and it works well,just find the spot that rubs the most and pull on it the other way to bend it back,start out pulling easy or you will bend it too far.This may seem like a half #$! way of doing it but it's qiuck,easy and free.

Perpetually single track
    You can also use a crescent wrench to true it, or an allen wrench if there are holes a large (5mm) one will fit through. If you use your hands, clean the rotor afterwards...oil on the hands will contanimate the pads a touch.

Bodhisattva
    Hands & channel-lock pliers or crescent wrench for me. Be sure to wrap the wrench in a rag so you don't gauge the rotor. Clean rotor with isopropyl afterwards.
    No need for a special gauge. Just true to the pads.
    Life....the original terminal illness

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinhead

Read our FAQ (I spent a zillion hours on it) at the top of the page. It's dead simple. A dollar store adjustable wrench is all you need.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.