mtbr member

New question here. how firm should Elixir 1s be at lever?

Lots of threads around about bleeding discs when they're squishy, or to correct a poor factory bleed, but I am trying to determine a good benchmark for how firm Elixirs should feel once ideal.

Mine travel smoothly until pad engagement on the disc at a good distance from the bar, which is a cleanly discernible stop. From there another half inch or so of travel at decent firmness is the range of useable modulation, before the rear locks at speed on pavement, front can be squeezed a tad further and it begins to lift the rear. However, sitting still it doesn't take a ton of effort to squeeze the levers all the way to the bar, but that would have been far beyond wheels locked while riding. Is this just hose expansion and normal, or a less than perfect bleed? I have limited hydraulic disc experience, but they are nowhere near as firm at the lever as well adjusted cable actuated rim brakes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If the lever comes close to the bar there's something wrong definitely. You probably have air in the system. Try giving them a good bleed.

mtbr member
    Thanks. I mean I really have to squeeze on it to get it to the bar, it would never get there while riding or I'd have been long ago over the bars. It takes 1 finger about almost hard as I can, two fingers decent effort but not hard.

They're still on the factory bleed but haven't been bad per se, but just seem they could be better. Unfortunately I don't have an easy point of reference for how they should feel nearby, everyone has road bikes near my house, and the shop I got it from specializes in road/urban bikes so probably not the best for this type of work.

Might as well get a bleed kit to have around anyway..