Buckle Up

How do you remove residue from disc rotor?

I have avid mechanicals and there is a buildup of something on my rotors. It appears to be brake pad residue. Is there some kind of a product I can use to clean up my rotors? Im not going to purchase anything specifically made for disc brakes, just something you could buy at the hardware store. Also, my seatpost has some rust on it, so if there is a product for removing rust that you could recomment to me, that would be great, thanks for the help!
    <><

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieMan
    I have avid mechanicals and there is a buildup of something on my rotors. It appears to be brake pad residue. Is there some kind of a product I can use to clean up my rotors? Im not going to purchase anything specifically made for disc brakes, just something you could buy at the hardware store. Also, my seatpost has some rust on it, so if there is a product for removing rust that you could recomment to me, that would be great, thanks for the help!

What's up wheelie ... stop on in at your local motorcycle shop and grab a bottle of disc brake cleaning fluid, i found some bottled by Suzuki (maxima), and it works awesome !! I think it was $ 7 for a 20 oz. bottle, so fairly inexpensive also.

As for your seatpost...must be coming from your steel frame ? Most post these days are either made out of alum., or carbon, the post should be able to just wipe clean. The frame however..if it's valuable to you, and plan on hangin' on to it for eternity you might want use a frame prep that coats the inside, OR if your like me just liberally apply grease into the seat tube as far as you can stretch your pointer finger.
    later, Chad

redbarnbicycles@aol.com

Not a regular
    Jan 2004

Rubbing alcohol

You can also use isopropyl rubbing alcohol. Everyone's got that at home.

Buckle Up
    Yeah, I have a steel frame. Is it concerning that the inside of my seat tube has rust on it? Or does that happen to most steel frames? Do I use rubbing alcohol for the rust on my seatpost, or brake residue?
    <><

the Truth will set u free
    Quote Originally Posted by WheelieMan
    Yeah, I have a steel frame. Is it concerning that the inside of my seat tube has rust on it? Or does that happen to most steel frames? Do I use rubbing alcohol for the rust on my seatpost, or brake residue?
    Use the rubbing alcohol to clean your rotors.

For the inside of your frame, you really need to use something like the JP Weigle frame saver product.

Available here (as well as other places I'm sure):
    http://www.schwabcycles.com/cgi/wc.d...log~DETAIL~545
    2001 Ellsworth Truth