mtbr member
    Jun 2004

how do you know when to change your disc brake pads

how do you know when to change your disc brake pads?

Specialized Fatboy
    I'd like to know too but also how long are they suppose to last??

Thanks

Nick

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I heard 500 miles but I don't remeber were... any nobody is posting any replies

matt

Bodhisattva
    I can only speak for Magura pads...

They include a handy-dandy device which you place between the "ears" of the pads. If you can't fit it in there then the pads have worn & need to be replaced. You can also directly measure them with a caliper but I've forgotten the thickness.
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    any body know how to tell for a hayes mx-1?
    I have burnt the pads cleaned them with alcohol and soap and water and engine degreaser... and to no avail I still have no back breaks... which suck royal @ss

HELP!
    PLEASE

Specialized Fatboy
    MX-1? Are you sure it's not the brake calipers? do you have hydraulics?

"El Whatever"
    Basically, you'll start loosing power and your pads will squeal (not always, some pads are just so much more consistant)

Usually you have to pull the pads out and measure them. A quick look at them can be handy too. You can see the rotor squeezed by the pads and the packing plate of each pad. When distance between a backing plate and the rotor is close or less than specified by the manufacturer is time to go to the shop to get a pair.

Avid recommends 1mm (I guess) not considering the backing plate.... Hayes can be around. Shimano pads have a pair or dots hidden inside the brake liner that when they are visible it's time to kiss their arse goodbye.
    Check my Site

it's....
    Quote Originally Posted by bigandcanadian
    any body know how to tell for a hayes mx-1?
    I have burnt the pads cleaned them with alcohol and soap and water and engine degreaser... and to no avail I still have no back breaks... which suck royal @ss

HELP!
    PLEASE
    Just went through same drill as you and gave up and got new pads front and rear for my MX-1.
    Replaced them prior to my last ride, and they saved my friend from me running over his head when his front tire slipped and fell directly in front of my path.
    Got them from Nashbar, I believe They had the cheapest price, ~$12.00 per set.

mtbr member
    Replace em when the backing plate is all that's left...
    Rigs:
    Specialized Rockhopper HT
    Trek 6500 HT
    Trek 3700 Disc HT (The son's)

www.justthebonnet.com
    Hear is your answer:

Magura recommends when the pad is 2.5mm, that is the actual brake pad and the metal backing plate. Yes Magura gives you that yellow disc tab that has a slot cut out. Basically if the pad fits in the slot, time to replace. No sense in gouging your rotors with the metal backing plate and having to replace $60 wavy rotors.

I'm pretty positive avid recommends changing the pads when the actual pad and backing plate is 3mm thick.

Capt_Phun's Riding Blog:
    http://captphun.blogspot.com/

I better go get my headlamp while I'm sober....ish

it's....
    Just replace them when you can't lock up the brakes anymore.

www.justthebonnet.com
    replace them at 2.5mm or you are asking for troubles like gouged rotors, air in your brake lines, and oh yeah, no brakes for when you will need them. Hayes pads are cheap, like$15 a set as well as the avid mech pads made by Kool stop at $15 a pair (i prefer the kool stop over the avid pads). Magura pads get you like $25-$30 a set. Those EBC pads, I stay away from them like a hooker with a cold sore.
    Capt_Phun's Riding Blog:
    http://captphun.blogspot.com/

I better go get my headlamp while I'm sober....ish

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I think that you just need to inspect them once in awhile. I'm new to disc brakes and I failed to do so. This past weekend I was on a descent and the sound from the rear brake was scary. By the time I got to the bottom, it was scraping pretty noticeably when the brake was not in use. Did a visual and saw little to no pad left. Took it into the shop and took the pads out and sure enough I was down to the backing material on 1/3 of the pad. (They didn't wear evenly and I was told this was normal.) Bad thing is, my rotor has some small gouges in it and are thinner in the center. Same for my front too even though there's pad left...just not as much wear. I'm running the Hayes, by the way. I've had this bike and original brake setup since July 2003..

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    When there is no friction material left on the backing plates.

You may have ruined your pads with all the cr@p you used on them. I do nothing to the pads. Just clean the rotors from time to time with denatured alcohol or 600 grit sandpaper and lots of water.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common