mtbr member
    Oct 2009

How do you know when to bleed?

What are the symptoms that indicate a new bleed is in order?

My front brake seems to have developed a bit more throw recently (i.e. comes closer to the bar).

mtbr member
    My front brake seems to have developed a bit more throw recently (i.e. comes closer to the bar).
    Are your pads worn?
    Duct tape iz like teh Force. It has a Lite side and a Dark side and it holdz the Universe together.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Nope, they've still got a fair bit of life in them.

mtbr member
    How old are the brakes? If a year or two then yes, they sound like they are in need of a bleed. Newer than a year, then something else may be an issue.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    No, they're not that old. I'm gonna drop the bike off for a service this week so I'll ask the shop.

MTB B'dos
    Well for me there are several indicators that a bleed or more might be inn order (my Juicys need more, seal kits on the way)....
    • -Lever starts to come closer to the bar and pads are not worn (what you're experiencing).
    • -Lever pull varies depending on outside temps - when hot less pull, when cooler more pull (definite indicator you have a good bit of air in the system).
    • -Brakes work, but not exceedingly well and lever doesn't hit a "hard" stopping point, but instead feels spongy.
    • -Inconsistent brake modulation, sometimes feel great then other times come almost to the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by R+P+K View Post
    What are the symptoms that indicate a new bleed is in order?

Last edited by LyNx; 01-16-2012 at 05:28 AM.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My MTB vids

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Well, I took the pads out yesterday and one of the front ones was a bit more worn than the others which would account for the uneven lever throw. So I switched the pads around and it's more even now.

I guess my question now is why would one pad wear more than the others? Is one piston moving more?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by R+P+K View Post
    Well, I took the pads out yesterday and one of the front ones was a bit more worn than the others which would account for the uneven lever throw. So I switched the pads around and it's more even now.

I guess my question now is why would one pad wear more than the others? Is one piston moving more?
    sticky piston need to clean and lube....easy enough to do...

A soft squishy lever is the feeling of air in the line...

A lever that comes in close to the bar but is not squishy usually means not enough fluid in the reservior and a bleed coming soon.