mtbr member

how do you crush the olive onto the brake line

I'm trying to shorten my Formula R1's. I'm getting all the parts together to do it myself. So far ordered the bleed kit, dot 4 fluid, and now just need an olive and insert. The question I have is how to crush the olive onto the hose once I slide it on. I did it in the past on my xtr's using pliers but I know this was probably not the best approach.

Bicycle Addict
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    That just looks like it pushes the insert in. Shouldn' the olive be clamped to the outside of the hose? Or am I doing things wrong?

mtbr member
    With shimano's, you slide the olive on and then it gets crushed when you tighten the hose nut, like a compression fitting. Im sure the Formulas work the same. You probably should not crush it yourself as it may be in the wrong spot, and also deform to a shape that wont seal properly in the reservoir body.
    "That's a niiiiiiiice biiike boy! That a Huffy!?"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickbm3 View Post
    With shimano's, you slide the olive on and then it gets crushed when you tighten the hose nut, like a compression fitting. Im sure the Formulas work the same. You probably should not crush it yourself as it may be in the wrong spot, and also deform to a shape that wont seal properly in the reservoir body.
    Ok, that's what I needed to know. I must've crushed it with pliers in the right spot last time because it never leaked. Got lucky I guess. Thanks for the info..No new tools to buy then.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by loggerhead View Post
    Ok, that's what I needed to know. I must've crushed it with pliers in the right spot last time because it never leaked. Got lucky I guess. Thanks for the info..No new tools to buy then.
    Np! I dont KNOW that crushing it yourself will cause a problem, I just know that its supposed to happen as a function of tightening the fitting. Glad it didnt leak for ya though
    "That's a niiiiiiiice biiike boy! That a Huffy!?"

mtbr member
    Yep, the olive always get crushed on by doing up the nut into the lever fitting whatever the brakes. You were very lucky not to have a leak taking the pliers to them...