mtbr member
    Oct 2006

How do these generic rotors from Atomlab, Alligator, Diatech compare to genuine Avid?

I'm after a new set of 8"/203mm brake rotors for my Avid Codes on my downhill bike. I've seen what seems to be a generic product sold by a bunch of different companies (see links) and I'm wondering how they stack up against the genuine Avid Clean-sweep rotors?

They're certainly a lot cheaper but I'm a big bloke (250lb+) and I've been known to drag my brakes, so I don't want to buy something that doesnt perform, or is warped by the end of a long run.

Any advice would be much appreciated

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=31197
    http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/ALBPRNNR2
    http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/DIBPRNND2

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I have often wondered the same thing and while I can't help you I will say the prices at T7 you can't beat if you want to be the first guinea pig and then report the results

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    A 125kg guinea pig flying down the track with brake failure

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Why not just buy one of them and try it on the brake you use less. That way you'll still have a solid, tested and working brake but also a way to try out the new rotor.

mtbr member
    I use these on one bike and they work the same as the OEM rotor

http://www.deltacycle.com/product.php?g=20
    Last edited by jetta_mike; 01-01-2009 at 11:24 AM.

Former Bike Wrench
    I've used the Tektro wavy rotors with my last set of Hayes brakes with ZERO issues, seemed to be just as durable and true and the factory rotors

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Paranoid_Android
    A 125kg guinea pig flying down the track with brake failure
    I'm your weight too so feel free too test and report back should brake failure happen

bike rider
    General concensus seems to be that all rotors work the same with the exception being that the ultralight Ashima and Alligator Windcutters eat organic brake pads.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    One of my riding buddies is a big guy (240lbs) and he run alligator rotors with no problem.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt
    General concensus seems to be that all rotors work the same with the exception being that the ultralight Ashima and Alligator Windcutters eat organic brake pads.
    Forget organic pads. They are great with sintered pads. EBC gold or Avid sintered are what needs to be run with the Ashima Airotor and Windcutter rotors.

Although I ride XC and not DH (and I weigh 180), I just pulled the Avid sintered pads from my main brake (the front one) after running the Alligator Windcutters 180mm's front and rear all season in 2008 (15 races and all the training between). Stock thickness of an Avid pad and the metal backing is 4mm. After an entire season with the Windcutters, the front pad measured 3.5mm in thickness. It is recommended to replace the pads when the thickness measures 3mm. So at least for me - I got good mileage out of my pads and great performance from the rotors.

Nino over on the Weight Weenies forum has many reports of the 203mm Windcutter working very well for DH riders in Europe using EBC gold sintered pads.

BB

bike rider
    Yeah, I never use organic pads. Sintered feels better.
    Keep the Country country.

Off the back...
    I've used the Aztec [Delta?] rotors, and they have been better than the Avid rotors in terms of warping and noise, and equal in terms of performance. With gear on, I was 200#.

mtbr member
    I've been on Alligator Serrated rotors 180F/160R since September and I notice no difference between them and the stock Avids. I'm only 155# mind you, but I don't think you'll encounter problems

Dr Phil mmkay
    Did 1/2 of this season on stock Code 5 pads (organic) with 203mm Serration rotors front and rear, ate up the pads, did the rest on Avid sintered. Noticed a better bite from the metallic pads. Can't really report on their durability. I'm 125lbs, did 4 races and a whole lot'o shuttling.