6x7=Dont Panic!

How do I true a rotor?

My rotors got messed up a bit when I put them in a suitcase... I packed them well, rode them, repacked them well, but on the way home my bags were "randomly inspected" and they did not repack them well. I probably should ahve claimed some damage or something but did not think about it at the time... almost a month ago. They are not terribly out of true, but when I spin the wheels the rotors hit the calipers. So what is the best way to true them?
    Herro prease

mtbr member

Crescent wrench

Just use a crescent wrench to bend them straight again. From my experience, the actual bend in the rotors usually occurs on the rotor spokes where the rotor spokes meet the center section of the rotor.

"El Whatever"
    Yup... a crescent, body english and a lot of patience.

Go to the Disc FAQ section on this page for a detailed explanation.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

complete line of rotor tools can be found..

Hello riders, Morningstar Tooling Products makes a complete line of rotor truing tools. ( has good ones for rims too. ) nothing but smiles See them at morningstartools.com

Rotors take a big hit herein the southern sierras.
    Douglas Fir

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRedMantra
    My rotors got messed up a bit when I put them in a suitcase... I packed them well, rode them, repacked them well, but on the way home my bags were "randomly inspected" and they did not repack them well. I probably should ahve claimed some damage or something but did not think about it at the time... almost a month ago. They are not terribly out of true, but when I spin the wheels the rotors hit the calipers. So what is the best way to true them?
    Hi Red. I've trued lots of rotors and even wrote the stuff about rotor truing in the FAQ at the top of the page - where it says about using an adjustable wrench for levering on the rotor. Yes I still stand by this as a workable method BUT in the last few weeks I used a set of Paul Morningstar's Drumstix.

They work much better than an adjustable wrench. They reach much further down the rotor and apply the adjustment at the lower end of a spider arm. For minor truing just one (of the set of three) 'stix can be used but for more major jobs the three tools used in harmony are incredible.

One tool is applied on each side of the warp and the adjuster tool is inserted between them right on the high point. Then using both hands, the two outer tools are pulled towards you and the center one pushed away. Voila!

The two outer tools isolate the warp and the middle one does the adjusting. What a marvelous yet simple set of tools.

I have Paul's R2OC Tech dial indicator disc and wheel truing device too and it really helps in dialing in ultimate trueness for rotors (and wheels too!)
    Last edited by Mike T.; 01-28-2005 at 02:37 PM.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Fir
    Hello riders, Morningstar Tooling Products makes a complete line of rotor truing tools. ( has good ones for rims too. ) nothing but smiles See them at morningstartools.com

Rotors take a big hit herein the southern sierras.
    Douglas Fir
    Look cool.... I liked the affordable price too. Other brands should be charging at least the double for the same thing. Even the dial indicator price looks fine... I know those are not cheap.
    Check my Site

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T.
    Hi Red. I've trued lots of rotors and even wrote the stuff about rotor truing in the FAQ at the top of the page - where it says about using an adjustable wrench for levering on the rotor. Yes I still stand by this as a workable method BUT in the last few weeks I used a set of Paul Morningstar's Drumstix.

They work much better than an adjustable wrench.
    You should call Park Tools and ask if you can demo a headset press...

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by frank n. beans
    You should call Park Tools and ask if you can demo a headset press...
    Don't push yer luck Frank! I haven't found the limits of my block o' pine yet.
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

cy1
    mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I realize that this is a late pile on, but I just got a R2OC Tech dial indicator and a set of Drumsticks this week. I used to use a crescent wrench, a lamp on the floor to see the gap between the rotors and pads, and two beers (for me) and it took me about a half hour.

Now I can get the rotors quiet and straight in about 5 minutes.

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by cy1
    I realize that this is a late pile on, but I just got a R2OC Tech dial indicator and a set of Drumsticks this week. I used to use a crescent wrench, a lamp on the floor to see the gap between the rotors and pads, and two beers (for me) and it took me about a half hour.
    Now I can get the rotors quiet and straight in about 5 minutes.
    It's never too late to pile on. The R2OC Tech and the 'stix make a game out of rotor truing. With now having the ability to quantify the amount of warp it became a game seeing how true I could get them. When I got down to 3 thou (the thickness of a gnat's whisker) I just quit. I kept making it worse!