mtbr member
    Nov 2004

how do i stop squealing??

i have been riding mayes mx-2 on my new ironhorse since january. usually i will get about 2-4 good hours per weekend. i rub the disks off w/ rubbing alcohol and have played w/ alignment w/ my local shop guy. THEY STILL SQUEAK!!!!!! the stopping is great, but i am getting tired of the noise, especially w/ racing season beginning, kinda embarrassing.
    -b. scott

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Looks like you're not alone. I had my LBS put some Hayes mx2's on my bike in the fall and they haven't stopped squeaking since. About every few rides I have to scuff up the pads and rotor, then blow air into the caliper to get the dust out. Then they're ok for a few more rides etc. That's just the front. The other problem I have is that the rear brake won't even slow me down. I can grab a big handful of lever and... nothing. They suggested trying different pads but later told me no other pads made will fit into the mx2 calipers. I only have about 200 miles on these things and if I could afford it, I'd throw them out and start over. My new rims are disc specific so now I can't even go back to my old v-brakes.
    Interesting point about adjustment. What kind of adjustments were made? I questioned how the pads are hitting the rotor sooner on one side than on the other (meaning the pad is closer to the rotor on one side than the other) and the mechanic said there is no way to make any adjustments on them except at the cable end and that I'll just have to live with it...........

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

my rear works good

the thing is, my rear works fine. i have the slightest tweak on the back rotor, but i can skid the back with the adjustments i made to the lever adjustment. my lbs guy is still kinda new, and came from bmx racing, so he is not much of a resource for the disk brakes, so i am learning on my own. i need to adjust after every few rides as well. the best thing i have found is to loosen the caliper, squeeze levers, then tighten, and manually adjust till there is slight clearance. i as well will switch to hydraulic when i get the coins to do so. i do not have the lack of stopping power, but i am going crazy with the squeal. i was in a race last weekend, and i nearly lost my mind on the last half cause every slight pull caused the noise. i would try to center (manually if needed), and then play with the lever barrels, and it should give you better results.
    hope it works a little
    --b. scott

just along for the ride
    Ease off on the brakes and let it roll and next thing you know you will be squealess! Otherwise let them bed in and avoid the sauce to start, have fun!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I just got into my front pads on Sat. with one of my wife's disposable emery board nail files and filed only the rear-most, or leading edges of the front pads and it seems to have taken care of the squeak. I didn't take them out, just sanded away at the leading edge as best as I could. Then I brough the bike to the shop and told them to get the rears to work, Period! No excuses no bulls**t, just do it! "Take as long as you need and charge me whatever it costs but they better work when I pick it up." We do most of our business there and have bought two bikes and most of our accessories from them so I guess they knew what I was getting at. The bike was ready in less than an hour and the rears are now like new. The mechanic told me that they didn't really do anything (yeah,right) but adjust the cable, the same as I've been doing. Boy, am I glad they didn't start tearing everything out and replacing it all. Here's hoping that they're actually fixed.

aj