mtbr member
    Jan 2013

how do I re-align a cantilever/V-brake boss?

with V-brakes, I can adjust so that the pad is almost parallel with the rim, BUT it is not centered....
    with cantilever brakes, it's even worse....since I do not seem to be able to adjust the canti brake pad to sit parallel...I have concluded that perhaps the brake mount boss is either twisted out of alignment, or the seat stay is twisted?

here are the pictures of the brake area in the rear. the one on the lefthand side of the pictures, is the one that is either badly aligned to the seat stay, or the seat stay is twisted...
    would it be possible to heat up the area and "untwist" it or does this require removal and rebrazing of the stud/boss?

CamoDeafie's Tactical gear and bike-packing blog-
    http://sbtactical.wordpress.com/

Plays with tools
    It saddens me that the frame made it out of the factory. The only real way to fix that is to cut the post off and reattach it. However you might be able to customize a brake that will mask the problem.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    all the other parts are from a LeeWorld Mountain Sports ladies bicycle; which doesn't have the braze-ons I wanted for a rear rack, nor does it have water bottle mounts...otherwise, I would've turned it into a touring bicycle...but yeah..I spent this morning trying to get the canti brake to be closer to parallel with the SUMO 1.75 rims I am planning to use..the other three bosses/studs/posts are fine. my hunch is that someone bent the seat stay in an accident, and didn't fix the positioning of the boss.
    the other option is to go caliper brake, but..I'd rather not, esp when I plan on using 2" wide slick tires.

EDIT: well. depending on the tires I find...maybe a Center pull Dual pivot caliper brake set would be OK? this bike frame will not see off-road usage.

EDIT 2: might be a bit kludgey; but I am thinking, if I can find a Center Pull Dual Pivot caliper brake just for the rear, I can keep the front with cantilevers and still be able to stop fine? just cut rear canti bosses off and repaint where needed? or would it be best to have both brakes same type?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Not ideal fix, but probably worth trying to put a big crescent wrench around the base of the canti boss and twist the boss+SS back into alignment. Looks like a fairly cheap frame likely made from thick, heavy tubing that will be tolerant of re-bending. You would definitly take a different approach if the seatstay was thinwall heat treated tubing and worth spending the $$ to do right (cut away post, re-braze a new post, repaint).

If there is still significant twist of the frame post, you can probably bend the brake pads post so that the pad surface is parallel to rim while rest of the brake is still skewed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    it's a touring frame; so heavy thick-walled tubing in the seat stays is what I agree with; I believe someone in the VRC mentioned that CyclePro Oswego was a relatively cheap frame available in catalogs for people who wanted to build their own... it's made by Giant if that's any help?
    I'll try the crescent wrench method, if it doesn't help, then cutting em off and putting on a Center Pull dual pivot brake would be OK. (at the least, it'll make it look a little unique)

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    *headdesk* I'm an idiot. at a thrift store, I came across a 70s vintage Gitane Gypsy Sport 10 speed road bike with broken front fork; and the Dia Compe center pull dual pivot rear brake I wanted....spent all of $5 for the whole thing; and brought it home...to swap the brake onto the Oswego...well. turns out that the reach is 12mm SHORT of where I needed em to be for 26x1.75(559) mtb wheels..

EDIT: OK problem solved. bending was the ticket...used the hole in the end of a crescent wrench and gave it a good shove, it went straight to where I wanted it to be.

THANKS EVERYONE WHO HELPED!
    mods; lock this thread!