mtbr member
    Jan 2013

how do i keep a mechanical disc brake housing in the hydraulic brake holders?

i have a full suspension frame with the the mounts on the frame for hydraulic disc brake set up but i have mechanical disc brakes so my cable housing has a smaller circumference. I tried using electrical tape but that ended up sliding off when i went down some stairs. What can i do to make it fit without it popping out when i go down bumps?

Quiet Professional
    Is there a hole for zipties?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Re: how do i keep a mechanical disc brake housing in the hydraulic brake holders?

I thought I read here that some people were using the smaller derailleur cables(supposed to help stopping power as well)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduro14 View Post
    i have a full suspension frame with the the mounts on the frame for hydraulic disc brake set up but i have mechanical disc brakes so my cable housing has a smaller circumference. I tried using electrical tape but that ended up sliding off when i went down some stairs. What can i do to make it fit without it popping out when i go down bumps?
    My brake cable housing is the same diameter as hydro brake lines. Some housing guides require an insert to work.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    there are no zip tie tie downs but i could just zip tie it down to the frame if i had too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Usually brake cable housing is larger than derailluer cable housing.. At least with jagwire it is. You're are probably using derailluer housing for your brakes. Get different housing and it should work fine

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    If you are using 4mm SIS shift housing....you are putting yourself in a very dangerous situation. It cannot withstand the compressive forces delivered by the brake lever and will explode as some point, causing catastrophic brake failure. Regular brake housing and hydraulic housing are the same size (5mm).

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    You likely need a few of these split housing/hose guides. Undoubtedly, a local shop will have them, as the alternative is buying an entire bottle of them.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    When I worked at a shop, I would hand out cable ends and ferrules for free all the time. I hope most shops still do. Apat is right double check and ensure you are using brake cables and brake housing.
    Shifter cables and housing are not as strong as brake cables.