Village Dirtbag

How do I keep the lever pin from backing out on my Hayes?

Hi guys. I have Hayes mag hydros on my Blur. Recently, I've noticed that the lever pin on my right lever tends to ride very high or low- sometimes even slightly protruding from the mount. There doesn't appear to be any damage anywhere. On the Hayes website they aren't very descriptive on how these pins are retained, but it doesn't appear to be a snap ring. I'm afraid of messing up my master cylinder in the middle of a ride when the lever comes off. So, does anybody know how I can fix this?

mtbr member
    There's two plastic bushings that the lever pin fits into that can crack, whatever if you have a crash or even are JRA. A replacement kit is availible which includes a new pin and 2 bushings, if I remember correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by @dam
    Hi guys. I have Hayes mag hydros on my Blur. Recently, I've noticed that the lever pin on my right lever tends to ride very high or low- sometimes even slightly protruding from the mount. There doesn't appear to be any damage anywhere. On the Hayes website they aren't very descriptive on how these pins are retained, but it doesn't appear to be a snap ring. I'm afraid of messing up my master cylinder in the middle of a ride when the lever comes off. So, does anybody know how I can fix this?

Village Dirtbag
    Thanks. Hayes just called me back. Seems the stock bushings are factory pressed. Their retrofit kit consists of a two-piece replacement pin that screws together in the middle and replaces the stock pin AND bushings. Cool! That should eliminate a lot of slop out of my levers. I live in a sandy area, so all the grit has probably been a lot of wear on those bushings. I was just noticing recently how sloppy the levers were getting (up & down)

Props to Hayes for sending this to me on my 1.5 year old brakes for free, no questions.