mtbr member
    May 2009

how do i install disc brakes???

i've got a new set of magura louise brakes, the half red/half black calipers and six bolt rotors. everything's ready to go, but so far i've been a v brake users for compatibility and money reasons. new frame and new fork with new wheels mean i'm ready for the discs. drivetrain is on no problem.

first of all, are these brakes any good?

questions during install. both front and rear levers came to me 'prebled' and connected to the calipers. the rear hose seems fine, but the front is the same length which is obviously too long. how to i trim the hose? while playing around with it before hand, i squeezed the levers, and now the pads don't separate. is that normal? can i just pull them apart or sqeeze something in between? how do they separate during normal operation? i'd hate to have them drag on the rotors the whole time.

i'm comfortable and familiar with almost all other aspects of biking mechanics, but the hydraulics are new. TIA

banned
    There's an FYI at the top right of this forum's main page. Your questions are answered there.

And yes, Louise brakes are quite good.

mtbr member
    I've heard of the trick for trimming hoses where you stroke out the pistons, cut the hose, then push them back to avoid bleeding.

Oh yeah the VQ is legendary.