MONKEYMAN

How do I face tabs?

Still trying to eliminate the noise from my biancos. So far I've replaced the pads to the sintered, that worked for about 8-10 miles. Then the squeak came back. It sounds like the brakes on a city cab or bus. All bolts are torqued to spec,

Every time I cruise this forum for tips, "face the tabs" is recommended. Unfortunately the search function limits searches to 200 returns. I've tried a bunch of variations of "face" "facing" "face tabs" "facing tabs" etc. but haven't found a guide as to WHAT "facing the tabs" entails.

So, is it just a matter of dragging a fine flat file across the interface between the tab and the caliper adapter? HOW is it done? Special tools required?
    “I don't like jail, they got the wrong kind of bars in there”

...idios...
    The brake spots, or tabs, need to be smooth and, most importantly, perpendicular to the axle (and therefore the brake rotor), so just using a file may actually make the aligment worse. Spot tools are (relatively) expensive, around £60 for the Hope one, considering that you may only need to do the job once (per frame/fork). A shop will charge anything from £/$5. It's money well spent, in my opinion, as it's one less thing to factor in if you're having brake troubles.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

I think I need to Upgrade

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by finger51
    Still trying to eliminate the noise from my biancos. So far I've replaced the pads to the sintered, that worked for about 8-10 miles. Then the squeak came back. It sounds like the brakes on a city cab or bus. All bolts are torqued to spec,

Every time I cruise this forum for tips, "face the tabs" is recommended. Unfortunately the search function limits searches to 200 returns. I've tried a bunch of variations of "face" "facing" "face tabs" "facing tabs" etc. but haven't found a guide as to WHAT "facing the tabs" entails.

So, is it just a matter of dragging a fine flat file across the interface between the tab and the caliper adapter? HOW is it done? Special tools required?

If you are still around... You connect the facing tool to the rear dropouts. That way the tabs are perfectly perpendicular (say that 5 times fast) to the disc tabs. There are various adapters for different axle sizes.
    As SteveUK said, it's a specialized tool, best to have a good lbs do it.