mtbr member
    Jul 2008

How do I disassemble V brakes?

I have a set of Avid Ti V brakes that broke on my last race. The pin that attaches to the frame snapped. I also have a set of Avis SD7 that are working fine. I could use the SD&, but is there a way to disassemble them and switch the “barrels”, springs and pin parts from the good SD7 over to my Ti brakes? The Ti are a little nicer and lighter. It would be nice to fix them rather than toss them in the trash.
    Any idea how i can dissassemble these?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    They are usually pretty easy to take apart.

You just pry off the little cap that sits just under the bolt and the whole thing will come apart. Just be mindful of how things go together and grease everything before you put it back together otherwise you could get the brakes seizing up from gunk or corrosion.

mtbr member
    You said the "little pin" meaning.....? The "pin" end of the return spring? If that's what it is you should be able to trade it out with your SD7's Clean all the parts and then use some light grease on everything especially the frame/pivot shaft. Good luck with that!
    If they are less than 2 years old U might contact Avid and they might replace it. I've had good CS from Avid/SRAM in the past.
    Training on Hills Builds Character, That's How I Got To Be One!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    thanks guys this worked great. It looks like my Ti brakes use a Al. "barrel" and the SD7 usses steel. I know the steel weights more but the Al. one is what failed on me. So i swaped in the steel part from the SD7 into the Ti. I bet it now weights close to the SD7 weight but i enjoed fixing and if nothing else the Ti version looks a little nicer. Thanks for the help.