himom!
    Apr 2006

How do I contact Avid?

Is there any way to contact Avid directly?

My Elixir Rs have a defect in that I have great difficultly getting the pads out. The little bar that holds the pad in is jammed in. Either the bar is slightly too big or the holes slightly too small. I have to really hammer on it to make it come out.

I know I could go through my LBS, but the brakes weren't purchased through them, so I feel bad wasting their time.

banned
    What did the instructions say about it?

There is no "Avid". That is a trademark of SRAM for the line of brakes. You have to contact SRAM direct, via their website.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by dmcgoy

My Elixir Rs have a defect in that I have great difficultly getting the pads out. The little bar that holds the pad in is jammed in. Either the bar is slightly too big or the holes slightly too small. I have to really hammer on it to make it come out.

I know I could go through my LBS, but the brakes weren't purchased through them, so I feel bad wasting their time.
    Haven't encountered that problem, but I could certainly see how some of the paint could perhaps get inside those holes and make for tight fit. If it was me, I'd fix it myself by taking a drill bit of the correct size and cleaning up the holes. If you want to make sure its the hole, rather than the retention pin try swapping the pin with your other brake and see if the problem goes away.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Did you try un-screwing it with the little tool (T 10 torx...can be bought at any hardware store) that comes with the brake set? The D clip that is there is just to keep the "bar" from being lost if it comes loose.

Mikey

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Forgot to mention, just incase its not blindingly obvious, only clean up the inboard hole with a drill bit. The outboard hole is threaded and taking a drill bit to that can only lead to sadness.

himom!
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarwick
    Haven't encountered that problem, but I could certainly see how some of the paint could perhaps get inside those holes and make for tight fit. If it was me, I'd fix it myself by taking a drill bit of the correct size and cleaning up the holes. If you want to make sure its the hole, rather than the retention pin try swapping the pin with your other brake and see if the problem goes away.
    It is the hole - the other pin from the not-crazy-hard-to-remove brake doesn't help. I guess it will be easier just to drill it out then deal with SRAM. Actually, I may just use a chainsaw file. Less chance of me screwing up badly.

And yes, I won't open up the threaded size. That would be bad.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    your not wasting their time if your paying them for the labor...
    i say let them have a go at it before you start messing around with it yourself

himom!
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by brillantesdv
    your not wasting their time if your paying them for the labor...
    i say let them have a go at it before you start messing around with it yourself
    Why would I pay the shop? If I was inclined to go through the hassle, I would expect Avid to fix the problem.

banned
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    What did the instructions say about it?

There is no "Avid". That is a trademark of SRAM for the line of brakes. You have to contact SRAM direct, via their website.
    Heres srams #,there C.S. is great....any returns will have go through your lbs
    312-664-8800