♥ ς╥33

How do I adjust these shimano discs??

So just got a GT avalanche expert its a 2008 model, I got a problem, the brakes dont lock up until i get like a cm from the handlebar, the reach is fine but its not until i get very far in i get some real power, dont know the name of the brakes and I cant find em on shimanos site, but theyre budget brakes I guess, like deore or lower grade.

Anyway the problem is that they bite to far in, how can I adjust this?? I want them to bite far longer out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    Carbon is a fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by robicycle
    Just lube your ass with asscream and ride for how long you want.

♥ ς╥33
    Ok Ive looked on gts site and many more shops and they all state"shimano hydraulic brakes" but I cant find out which model, they are black on one side marked shimano, and black with the middle ground out/polished in silver on the other side, anyone know which model I have?

There are too many screws to choose from for me to feel confident to try to adjust this with no further info.
    Carbon is a fad.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Not sure which brakes you have, but if they're like other Shimano hydros, there's no (easy) way to adjust the "bite" point. Keep in mind, the brakes will require a break-in period, after which the power will improve. Also, with my Shimanos XT's I've noticed that the bite point will move out over time.

♥ ς╥33
    The levers look like these http://bike-components.de/catalog/Br...288ab1265a8e46

and the calipers pretty much like these http://bike-components.de/catalog/Br...288ab1265a8e46

except they have another colour.

I also noticed they bite point have moved out on the rear brake, not much, but noticable exactly as you say lyndonchen.
    Carbon is a fad.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I don't know how you're running the brakes, but you can set them up so that power at one cm from the grip will be fine: set the lever up for index-finger-only operation by mounting the lever further inboard on your handlebar, and inboard of your shifters.

♥ ς╥33
    Yeah Ill try that, good idea, after looking at shimanos site I begin to think these brakes have no adjustments whatsoever or pretty close to that.
    Carbon is a fad.

♥ ς╥33
    Just found out what brakes I have, theyre called m485, I dont like them, they have no power, its even hard to lock up the rear wheel and they make terrible noise. No good at all, dont buy these brakes my old v-brakes had more power (like 8 year old lx).
    Carbon is a fad.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    didn't the 485's get recalled?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    When power is that bad and noise is also an issue, I'd suspect contaminated pads. Try cleaning the rotors with alcohol, and baking the pads in the oven at 400deg for 10 minutes or so. This should boil away any contaminants. You'll have to break them in again, but at least you'll eliminate the contamination issue.

Linoleum Knife
    Quote Originally Posted by longcat
    Just found out what brakes I have, theyre called m485, I dont like them, they have no power, its even hard to lock up the rear wheel and they make terrible noise. No good at all, dont buy these brakes my old v-brakes had more power (like 8 year old lx).
    Have you ridden the bike more than just around the block?

If you do one decent (8-10mi) ride on the bike, you will have the pads bedded in and all the air bubbles jiggled out of the system. Most of the shimano brakes I've installed take one good ride to stiffen up.

Did you buy the bike at a shop or online? If you got it a shop, take it back and ask them to look at the brakes.

If you bought it online, start reading up on how to adjust disc brakes, or take it to a shop and ask them to look at it.

Just because they're improperly bled / installed / bedded in doesn't mean they're bad brakes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by forkboy
    Just because they're improperly bled / installed / bedded in doesn't mean they're bad brakes.
    im leaning toward bleeding them first...

and also, have you properly bedded the brake pads yet?

mtbr member
    Shimano M485's had a recall for SOME units that were contaminated. Symptoms? No power and terrible noise. Take 'em back, you should get some replacements no charge from Shimano. M485's, if not defective, work pretty well.

♥ ς╥33
    I have to read up on bedding the brakes, the thing is I only have internet access on work and not at home. I ride the bike to work and back every day, and use it as my only form of transportation, I've used it for exactly 8 days now and about 8 hours.

Yesterday on my way home I found out the front brake can be pulled all the way in to the handlebar, and while in there it lacks power, however the back brake seems normal, anyone want to guess the problem?

I will mention this on monday when theyre going to take a look at my leaking fork.
    Carbon is a fad.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Yesterday on my way home I found out the front brake can be pulled all the way in to the handlebar, and while in there it lacks power, however the back brake seems normal, anyone want to guess the problem?
    As someone mentioned, could be air in the line. Have the shop bleed the brake.

Linoleum Knife
    I will mention this on monday when theyre going to take a look at my leaking fork.
    Is your fork leaking oil out of the disc brake caliper?

♥ ς╥33
    Quote Originally Posted by forkboy
    Is your fork leaking oil out of the disc brake caliper?
    No out of a bolt on the bottom of the fork actually

I took my bike ack to the store, they called shimano and now I'm getting new brakes, I'm hoping these will work good. Apparantly they have had lots of complaints on the m485's.
    Carbon is a fad.