escapee

how do i adjust the *outer* pad on Hayes MX4s?

i keep having this problem with my rear rotor touching the *outer* brake pad and then my wheel of course doesn't spin freely.

the only clue i have found on how to fix this was in a comment on the mtbr review page for the product.

"moving pad only adjustable by changing cable position."

but how? help me please. i'm a noob at fixing things.
    Last edited by friendzonehero; 10-12-2008 at 03:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Having the exact same problem on my Stroker trails. Was just about to post up.

Meh.
    With the Stroker trail, the pistons are self adjusting. Remove the wheel, insert a flathead screwdriver between the pads, rock back and forth. Reinstall the wheel. Loosen the two bolts that attach the caliper to the adapter. Pump the lever a few times, squeeze the lever. Alternately snug the two bolts back up while making sure the caliper does not shift. Repeat if necessary.

For the mechanical brake, it's different. You need to make sure the wheel is all the way and straight in the dropouts. You can center the caliper the same way as for the Stroker, but you may need to adjust pad position afterwards. The inboard pad is the one closest to the spokes. That pad does not move. You can adjust it's position via the 5mm allen on the back of the caliper. There may be a 2mm set screw on the top of the caliper to hold the position. Loosen the set screw. Turn the 5mm bolt counter clockwise to pull the pad away from the rotor. You want to have the pad close to the rotor, but not rubbing. The outboard pad is the dynamic pad. The position is adjusted by cable tension. However, the cable should be anchored with the arm just about all the way out. And then the caliper position adjusted to compensate. If you do not understand, take it to the bike shop.

escapee
    will,
    thank you for the detailed reply. i think i've got it now!

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by friendzonehero.

"Inner (moving) pad only adjustable by changing cable position."
    That's wrong info, it's the outer pad that is adjusted with the cable. The inner pad is done with a 5mm allen key as previously stated.

Here's a Installation and Service Guide from Hayes for the MX2, MX3 and MX4 Brakes:

http://www.hayesdiscbrake.com/pdf/MX2MechDiscInstall4LanguageEnglishWeb.pdf

escapee
    well...

i thought i had it figured out, but i don't. what do i do when the caliper is already adjusted as far as it can go toward the outside and the outer pad is still touching the rotor?

i was just about to take it to the bike shop, but then i realized it's sunday and they're closed. i can probably fix it on my own though if anyone knows what to do.

thanks in advance

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Is the rotor warped?
    If the outer pad is touching the rotor try loosening the brake cable.

Anti-Outsourcer
    Jan 2007
    try fiddling with the barrel adjuster on the lever, make sure the cable isn't hung up anywhere on your frame (happened to me a lot), and like cobba said, try giving the cable some slack where it attaches to the caliper.

escapee
    ok, the rotor is perfectly straight from what i can see when i spin the wheel, and i loosened up the brake cable tension all the way and that did nothing. i already had a lot of slack there and it was anchored with the arm fully extended to begin with.

i'm thinking about drilling out the left side of the caliper mounting holes a little bit so it can be moved further outward.

i really don't know if that's a good idea or if it will even work, but it seems like it should so.. i might just have to try it. there's only 2mm of metal there as it is though so i can't drill too much.

EDIT: it worked!

i appreciate all the advice too.
    Last edited by friendzonehero; 10-12-2008 at 08:07 PM.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Placing a washer on the axle so that it fits between the hub and the frame will move the brake caliper out.

escapee
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba
    Placing a washer on the axle so that it fits between the hub and the frame will move the brake caliper out.
    ahh, that is a much better idea than what i did...

oh well; now i know better.