mtbr member
    Jul 2006

how to disassemble avid levers for lever replacement?

i have a speed dial 7 lever with 1 lever broken. i happend to find a FR5 set for like $5 and wanted to take the lever off the FR5 and put on my speed dials.

the pivot on the lever seems to be pressed in? is there a trick to taking this sucker apart? was also thinking about powder coating the lever white while if i could get it out.

thanks all! this is probably a totally noob question, bear with me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by harryzhong
    i have a speed dial 7 lever with 1 lever broken. i happend to find a FR5 set for like $5 and wanted to take the lever off the FR5 and put on my speed dials.

the pivot on the lever seems to be pressed in? is there a trick to taking this sucker apart? was also thinking about powder coating the lever white while if i could get it out.

thanks all! this is probably a totally noob question, bear with me.
    The lever kits are different on sram's site, check page 9 of the spare parts catalog. So I'm not sure this would work.
    Sorry, can't advise on how to work on these. I haven't taken this style of avid lever apart, my older SD's are easy to take apart.
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    yeah, it looks like from that diagram that the pivot is press fit into the lever.

i could try popping it out but then not sure where i would get a new pin, much less if it would snug back in.

i may have to just get a new set

mtbr member
    bump. does anyone know if this is possible?

i bought bb7 and would like to upgrade the levers. Ideally i want to have my lever blades painted/powder coated red, hence the need for taking them off.