mtbr member
    Aug 2008

How did you fix your squeal and/or vibration?

This is NOT brand specific but please mention what brand of brake you are using.

I have an older Hayes setup that is chattering and vibrating badly through the whole frame pretty much every time I use the rear brake - it seems worst at very low speed under light braking. I've changed pads and cleaned the rotor and it is a little better but still hard to modulate because when the chatter starts, the harmonic becomes the dominant factor in my braking.

I've seen dozens of threads with suggestions of what to try but I don't see many (if any) people posting up that they've actually resolved the issue. Most say they have just changed brakes. I can't afford to do that right now.

Anyway, if you have successfully fixed your squealing/howling/warbling/chattering/vibrating disk brakes...how did you do it? If you had to replace the system, please chime in as well...all data is appreciated.

Slow riding mama's boy

Well, just a lot of the basic stuff here...

I've run Avid mechanicals (several versions on several bikes), Magura Marta SLs (didn't care for them...talk about high maintenance..), Shimano XTRs, and currently using Avid Elixir CRs.

I've gotten each of mine to be silent (the Elixirs I've only ridden a few times and just had a rotor replaced under warranty, so they don't count.) Here's the things I tried, all of which worked at various times:

Loosening the QR, removing the wheel, replacing it and making sure it's aligned, fiddle with the QR tension. Easily the most annoying, yet simplest solution I found.

Checking my bolts on my rotors to make sure they were correctly tightened.

Loosening my calipers, making sure they were shimmed/aligned properly (super easy on Avids), and checking that the bolts were correctly tightened.

Making sure my rotors were true and that the bolts were tightened properly.

That's about it. I know it's not super helpful, but that's what I got. Unfortunately I haven't found any discs that are utterly silent all the time. The xtrs were probably the best in that sense.

I recommend getting Avid mechanicals, even though you didn't ask for suggestions. The only downside that I see is weight, and if you're running older discs, they're likely about the same weight. Avids are powerful, easy to adjust, and you can get a set (new!) for $100 on sale. Throw in some levers and you're in business.

Good luck.

ride hard take risks
    Have you done a fluid flush if yes how long ago.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

TLL
    mtbr member
    Some possible causes of Squeal:

Loose pivot bolts, pivots with play in them, dry pivots

Brake mounting tabs out of alignment

Rear hub not square in dropout

Rotor out of alignment with caliper, pads out of alignment/not parallel

Not enough tension in pad return spring

Warped rotor

Glazed rotor

Glazed or contaminated pads

Unevenly worn pads

Too little/too much clearance between pad and rotor

Bolts not torqued to spec, or torqued unevenly

Braking style. I have personally found that frequent light braking seems to induce chatter more often--but take this with a few grains of salt, as I have not run every brand on the market under double-blind trials.

Squeal can be caused by any number of things, least of which may be pad/rotor contact. You are looking for anything the can cause or set up a vibration/squeal at a certain frequency.

I put this list together with the help of Chris at Formula, it helped me diagnose a squealing problem I had with my rear brake.

Good luck.

Brakes I have used: XT, XTR, Louises, Formulas.
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Juicy 7's. I changed from an Avid G2 rotor to a Galfer rotor after all else failed.

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004
    Properly align the caliper to the rotor is key to quiet brakes.
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I managed to stop the vibration/chatter for the time being.

I bought new pads and that made it a little better. After my next ride I used 400 grit sandpaper to rough up the rotor and pads. I used a random/cross pattern rather than just spinning the wheel while I held the sandpaper. I went riding tonight and the chatter was worse than ever. But after the first 5 uses or so, the vibration suddenly went away and I had smooth, perfect braking!

I hope it stays this way for a while.

mtbr member
    I had 7's on an older bike, 5's and ultimates on my cuerrent bikes. As long as they are centered and more importantly clean they work silently. Occasionally i will take the wheels off and sand the rotors with 220 grit i think and remove the pads and sand them on a block just to ruff the surface up. get a can of auto brake cleaner and spray the pads and rotors. so far on my enduro ive only cleaned the brakes once with just cleaner and never sanded and they have been silent since day one. my 5's got loud once and i didi that and they have been quiet ever since. both have 203/185's and i weigh 200lbs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks vdubz...I appreciate reading the same info copied into 3 different posts.

mtbr member
    Just trying to help. No one is forcing you to read it

Nightmare on Lyrik st. VI
    I literally silenced my 08 XT brakes by switching to Shimano organic pads. Just that. With the metallics it was driving me crazy.

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004
    vdubz - so what kind of brake cleaner? Just the stuff sold at auto parts stores?
    [SIZE=2]Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"[/SIZE]

bt
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    de-natured alcohol works great. get it at any hardware store in the paint section.

Just a flesh wound

ipod

works wonders. Can't hear what everyone else is saying, but who gives a f, they are behind me anyway.