mtbr member

How to choose brakes??

I have been looking to get a new set of brakes but have no idea how to choose. I searched, and read through the forums...and in the end , I am not sure if which ones I get matter.
    The local store has MT4, Louise BAT, Marta SL, Shimano XT.
    They all get good reviews. Should I just pick one and be done with it?
    I ride XC , and often have long (16km) descents.
    I really have the feeling that all the brakes would be satisfactory. Is that correct? Any advice?

Can't make a decision .

LightJunction.com
    You're probably right that they'll all be satisfactory. All of those brakes you listed are good, quality brakes, and they're all designed and tested with high performance in mind. That said, there are differences between them all--differences that can sometimes take seconds or weeks to notice. If you can test ride any of the brakes (friends' bikes, new bikes at your LBS), I would definitely recommend it. Otherwise, you'll have to use the trial and error method, which, honestly, is how most of us wind up doing it. Eventually you'll find your own preferences and you'll be set, but until then, just do the research and test as much as you can before making a purchase. You're going about it the right way so far. Best of luck.

*one more thing...if you get to the point that you can't decide between your options and you've exhausted all your resources trying to figure out which one is better, I'd just buy the one that is the better deal/has the better return policy.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

I <3 dirt
    For long decents you can't go wrong with the m780 xt's with ice tech rotors.

I'd think you'd be fine with any of those though so if your wallet isn't the deciding factor I'd say lever feel and weight would be my deciding factors. I chose the m780's personally. True 1 finger braking is nice.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I have one question aswell:
    I have Sram X7 trigger shifters (2011) and if i want to put Shimano XT M785 brakes, do they fit normally on the handlebar? I mean by that, if I have shifters positioned then can I set shimano levers on normal position (1 finger brake, good/enough tilt)? Or sram and shim shifters/levers dont interact that well as sram x7 shifters and elixir 7 brakes would do, or there is no difference?
    Some pictures:

Thanks
    Indrek

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I would guess you would have no problem. The brake clamp may sit even closer to the grips than the elixir due to the shorter XT lever.
    Rimmer - "There's an old human saying - if you talk garbage, expect pain"

I <3 dirt
    I ran x7 shifters with my m785 brakes and they sat well together; almost better then my non-ispec xt shifter honestly.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1