Village Dirtbag

How to catch the overflow runoff when using DIY Hayes bleed kit

Hi guys. I'm bleeding my Hayes HFX Mag brakes for the first time tonight. I hear the Hayes kit sucks, so I bought a syringe and some tubing. The only really specialized thing in the Hayes kit seems to be that little fitting you stick into the master cylinder. The fitting has a hose running out of the other end, which you can use to make all of the old fluid go into a catch jar as it is forced out. Right now, the only things I can think of are

1) whittling my hose down to (sort of) fit,
    2) wrapping my master cylinder with rags and paper towels to catch the overflow, or
    3) finding a helper to try to suck up the overflow with a 2nd syringe.

All options sounds messy.

So- tell my, Hayes DIYers- how do YOU catch the overflow?

Meh.
    Just cut the tubing to fit and run it into a little catch bottle. And wrap the lever with a rag just in case. Keep some water and alcohol around. Right after you finish, pour alcohol or water to deactivate the DOT fluid. Remember to push the pistons in and take the pads out before you bleed. Get all the bubbles out. Hopefully you got a pretty big syringe.

Village Dirtbag
    Yeah? You can just stick some of the tubing in there and it works OK? All right- I'll give that a try. Maybe I'll cut the end off of another tapered syringe and try to glue something together...maybe I'll put some shoe-goo on the outside to try to make a deformable seal, too.

Unfortunately, my syringe isn't as big as I'd hoped. I looked all over, and all I found was a turkey flavoring injector. I think it is about 45cc or so. It has a big needle on the end, but at the base of the needle there is a bolbous section which slips onto the hose perfectly! It is shaped just like the bleed screw!

mtbr member
    Yes the hayes bleed kit does suck. But I think it still work the best if used the right way.

EDR
    I tried making a dyi kit for my mags last year. No hose would fit perfectly tight into the m/c. Quite a bit of pressure can build up at that point and I didn't want to see that hose go flying off and brake fluid squirting all over my brand new frame so I broke down and spent the 15 bucks on the kit. It worked fine even with that stupid bottle. I have several sryinges saved so i'll try one of those next time. If you have a nice finish on your bike I suggest you get the kit, if for no other reason then the fitting. If you dyi use lots of rags and look for leaks (you'll know when it is leaking when fluid hits the garage ceiling, lol)

Village Dirtbag
    My frame is anodized, but my fork and the brake body are still painted. I'll be sure to do it with the car in the driveway though- and with safety glasses.

mtbr member
    I used to use the Hayes kit for re-bleeds, but I've had great luck with a large syringe (bought at an animal feed store) for the past few years. Once you do it a few times, you'll get the hang of it. I use the syringe, tubing & spring, bleed nipple, and I use a 20oz soda bottle as a catch reservoir. I use an old spoke bent around the neck of the bottle and then around the h-bar to hold it in place. I tape the tubing into the top of the bottle to prevent it from coming out. (I've had this happen mid-bleed - what a mess). I just bled both the front and rear brakes the other night after lengthening the lines for a new bike. The front took about 5-10 minutes and only one attempt. The rear took much longer and more tries to get all of the air outta the system. I finally removed the brake completely from the bike to get it done. This prevented any air bubbles that may have trapped in the lines along the frame guides and line routing. Good luck!

toby

ride hard take risks
    My home made catch tank.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Village Dirtbag
    Thanks. I'm sure I can figure out how to make the home-made catch tank. I just don't know how to secure the hose into the master-cylinder overflow port without the specialized Hayes port.

(BTW- I wound up not having the time to bleed them last night, so tonight maybe)

mtbr member
    Just spend the $15.00 and doit right.

ride hard take risks
    Check a fish store you can get the small air tubing it fits pretty snug in the Hayes master the get the larger size tubing to slip over the small. I found the air hose tubing holds up better then the Hayes stuff to the brake fluid.