mtbr member
    Aug 2006

How to BREAK IN your brakes

what is meant by breaking in your brakes. i have a set of brand new bb5's and i want to do it right, so any help on this matter is appreciated.

Bite Me.
    It means to bed in the pads and rotors gradually. You don't want to overheat the brakes right off the bat or you could glaze the rotors. It's best to do 20 or 30 gradual contolled stops without locking up the wheels. Ride up a slight grade for a few hundred feet and ride down it applying just enough brake pressure to slow you down but not completely stop until the bottom of the incline. Repeat a few times until they're broken in. You can gradually increase your speed as you work them in. This will also quiet the rotors and pads and stop any squealing (assuming the calipers are properly set). Go ride your favorite trail next.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Oh i see. thank you for your help.

Double-metric mtb man
    Cutthroat has it. Take it slow, let everything get worked in and gradually build up the forces.

I'm somewhat lucky....I live on a street with a very slight slope.and a fairly good run...it only takes me about two coasts down to the "no exit" end to get everything bedded in well enough to go for "normal" (i.e. more agressive, higer forces and heat, but nothing super agressive) rides. After a couple "normal" rides, the brakes are generally set for anything I'd care to throw at them.
    As if four times wasn't enough-> Psycho Mike's 2013 Ride to Conquer Cancer Page

Moran? Let your opinion be free -> F88me

Meh.
    Avid actually has excellent instructions in their manual about how to properly bed in the pads. You can read the PDF on their website.

banned
    Start with a good wash of the pads with alcohol. I also face the pads against each other in the alcohol wash to remove and wash some residues away. This can be done in place of a very light roughening with a file or sandpaper and an alcohol wash. Slightly bevel the leading and trailing edge of the pad, which can also help with squeals.

When on the bike, face the pads to the rotor bike riding while gently squeezing the lever, then go harder and harder. This should make the brake work pretty well during the actual brake in. I try to go to a hill or get up to speed and moderately warm the brake, then go for full on panic stops down this hill while dragging it to make it warm before the actual stop. Works everytime, with all compounds.