mtbr member
    Jan 2004

How bad are Deore Disc hubs?

I'm looking to upgrade to Disc brakes and some really good deals can had on wheelsets with Deore disc hubs. My current wheelset is a Rhynolite with regular deore hubs and they have worked fine? The limited reviews on this site give Deore disc hubs a bad wrap. Are they as bad as the few reviews given? Should I a little more cash and get XT hubs? Input would greatltly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Rich

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    haven't heard any bad things about these hubs.my girl has them on her Kona and while i was waiting for a new frame i rode it and there is no noticable difference between these and xt,i think the xt is just lighter.if these wheels will just be used for light to med trail riding the deore's will hold up,anything else i would say the xt's,they are also lighter.

mtbr member
    There are/were 3 versions of the Deore disc hubs, the 475, 525, 555's. The 525's & 555's are fine. The 475 spin a bit rough and are ment as OEM items only.

contains quinine
    Quote Originally Posted by itsdoable
    There are/were 3 versions of the Deore disc hubs, the 475, 525, 555's. The 525's & 555's are fine. The 475 spin a bit rough and are ment as OEM items only.
    They're darned heavy. I believe that the bearings are a difference between those and XT.
    Take the long cut, we'll get there eventually.

shaved yeti

deore vs. xt hubs

Quote Originally Posted by Debaser
    They're darned heavy. I believe that the bearings are a difference between those and XT.
    They also use different cones. The XTs have that borozon treatment stuff... I always switch out the bearings to either 300 grade or 25 grade. 300=Ultegra/XT quality 25=Dura Ace/XTR quality, respecively.

IMHO:
    That'll make them more buttery smooth (you can also run a higher preload on the cone without binding, which will add durability). So buy some bearings for $2, swap them out. and save yourself $$ on hubs.

Other than that, 525 has the same flange diameter, and flange to center measurements, so as far as total wheel strength goes, they are pretty much the same.

XTs aren't exactly featherweights either....

Harrumph
    As long as they are the Deore or XT hubs they are not bad. It s the bottom of the line OE ones that are total crap, they just say Shimano on them. As already mentioned, the shells are the same. But the internals are different. I bought a set of supposedly Deore hubbed rhyno-lites from Beyond Bikes, but they were actually the lower end hubs. By the way, Beyond Bull$hit basically blew me off when I complained that the picture and the text said they were Deore (the pic actually had XT hubs) and what I received was the OE hubs. They admitted that there was a mistake but buy the time they could fix it they would have sold all the wheels anyway so they were just going to leave it.
    Slowly slipping to retrogrouchyness