k2x
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

How to adjust / center XT brake pads

My girlfriend just got a new ( demo ) SB95 which has the new XT disc brakes on it. The front pads are rubbing. I know how to center most brake calipers, but these don't have the adjustment slots. How do you center the pads on these things?

mtbr member
    You can check to make sure the pistons are set correctly. Sometimes, people take off the front tire and squeeze the brake and this sets the pistons too close to the rotor. It has happened to me a number of times by accident which makes it impossible to center the caliper without it rubbing. Remove the pads first and I usually use the end of a plier handle (with the rubber) and just press the pistons all the way back in. If you have the reservoir cap open, then you may want to get ready for brake fluid spurting out. Slide your pads back on and you can press the brake against the rotor to center it and tighten. It will take a few times for the pistons to get to where it has to be so braking will feel slushy at first.

This is one of the more common issues for me. You could also have a warped rotor, or your front wheel isn't on tight enough.

El CicloPath!!!!!!!
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by k2x View Post
    My girlfriend just got a new ( demo ) SB95 which has the new XT disc brakes on it. The front pads are rubbing. I know how to center most brake calipers, but these don't have the adjustment slots. How do you center the pads on these things?

To center the pads, you need to have the yellow bleed block. Take off the wheel and remove pads. Make sure the pistons are moving correctly. If not, lube with Shimano mineral oil. Carefully push the pistons in with a tire lever. Place the bleed block in and secure with the pad screw. Squeeze the lever a few times, holding tight. This should center the pistons. Install the wheel. Without pads installed, center the caliper to the disc. Once you get the disc as centered as possible, then install the pads. Ten give the lever a fw tight sustained squeezed to center the pads to the disc.

k2x
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks guys. I'll give this a shot tonight!