mtbr member
    May 2009

How to Adjust Brakes

I just got a Cannondale scalpel 3 to test ride for two months. It came straight from the bedford plant.

When i grab the front breaks (Avid Juicy 7 Hydraulic) it takes a second or two to fully stop. It seems that there is not as much stopping power as the rear brakes. How can i adjust this?

mtbr member
    If the levers feel just as firm as the rears, there's not much you can really adjust. Try bed in procedures; if that doesn't work, suspect pad/rotor contamination.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    It's best not use too much stopping power on the front brake, it's probably intentional. you usually use the rear brake and then the front one if you need to stop faster. One of my friend had is front break really tight and one day he was crossing a street really fast and a car was coming right on him so he brake (the front one) and he went flying straight into the car front bumper who hit him in mid-air.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Omb1
    It's best not use too much stopping power on the front brake, it's probably intentional. you usually use the rear brake and then the front one if you need to stop faster. One of my friend had is front break really tight and one day he was crossing a street really fast and a car was coming right on him so he brake (the front one) and he went flying straight into the car front bumper who hit him in mid-air.
    Um no. You can screw up with any brake. Don't blame the front brake just b/c you're a noob. Hit your rears the same way you'll either lose traction and go slamming into the car or lose traction and stability and end up under it.

Live 2 Ride
    Not a very nice reply there vk...
    My Bike: '03 Specialized HardRock FrankenBike
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    I know, I can be such a click sometimes. But hey, maybe it'll make him practice with his front brakes. That might save his @ss one of these days so maybe I am a nice guy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    you will know what i'm talking about if it happens to you one day, there's no such thing as ''proper'' braking when a car come sat you and you have 1 millisecond to react, you WILL slam both brake at full potential. My friend rear brake broke that's why he used the front one but it was too tight. Maybe it'll happen to you one day

PS: go **** yourself idiot.

mtbr member
    If you have 1ms to react, neither (not even both) brake will stop you fast enough - you'll hit the car no matter what. Even if the brakes could stop you in 1ms, it's the same as a crash anyway. The difference is if you have more, time then the front will stop you fast enough while the rear won't.

And no it won't happen to me one day because I know better than to go charging at cars when my brakes suck and I know better than to call weak brakes a safety feature.

56-year-old teenager
    Aug 2006
    Try bleeding the brakes. Air in the lines or caliper can cause a "soft" feel and lack of braking power.
    Work is the curse of the biking classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Omb1
    Most of the stopping power is in your front brake, not the rear. To achieve maximum stopping power you use the front as much as possible along with the rear. Roll at a good clip in a straight line, try coming to a stop using only your front brake then try the same thing using only the rear brake. Then try them together. Your longest stop will be with the rear brake only if your brakes are adjusted well.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    if its new sound like you need to bed the brakes.