Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

How to adjust Avid BB5's

5K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  onegymrat 
#1 ·
I'm constantly adjusting my brakes when I take my wheels off and put them back on. I'm wondering what the proper/best steps are to make sure that the rotors are aligned evenly between both brake pads.

It's real easy to move the inside pad in or out (just turn the dial) but what's the best way to align the outside pad? Do you have to disconnect the brake cable and tighten or loosen it by hand?

#3 ·
I have BB5's on my XC bike, they can be tricky to get dialed in, but when they're working well, they work great for a mech disc.

Adjusting cable tension on either barrel adjuster works best for the front brake, outside pad.

If that doesn't work, you'll have undo the cable from the caliper and reattach it, placing the outside pad in the right spot to it won't rub or warp the disc.

You can also try losening the cailper bolts and center the caliper over the disc. Its mostly eye-balling and using trial and error.

#4 ·
Hey bank, I had BB5s for a while before I switched to BB7. The fact that you take your wheel off frequently, which means the tension on the quick release may be different everytime, will cause the increased inconsistency of the pad to rotor alignment. BB5s get out of whack often without taking the wheel off anyway! It's just the nature of mt. biking, you're going to get a lot of impact and trauma to the bike so nothing stays aligned all the time. BB5s work fine but the constant adjusting got me fed up. I have moved on to hydraulics now.

So my answer is that there is no easy way. I frequently had to realign the CPS bolts (use torque wrench), in addition to the pad adjustment knob. Here's the Avid instructions in case you don't have it: http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/2006_BB5and7_English.pdf.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.