mtbr member

hose for xtr brakes

I got some M975 brakes off ebay for a great price. Only problem is that the lines are a little short. What hose kit do I need to get for these brakes? They're the M975 models. I've read that the SH-BH59 is what I need but then I see that those are for Deore brakes only. Then its the SH-BH96 then those say they're for the older XTR brakes. I wouldn't mind going to stainless lines either so is there a Goodridge kit that will work w/ these?

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    actually all shimano hoses are the same, what varies is the connectors...

the SH-BH59 comes with 0 degree (straight) connectors on both ends, therefore it fits all the current generation of Shimano levers and brake calipers (except Saint I think)

Ultimated Outsider
    If you go with Goodridge, is kit 104, Its one upgrade that worth every penny. Kit 107 is for new Saint and old XTR and really old 755 XT.
    If I disagree with you, it's because you are wrong.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    In several years of riding various Shimano brakes - including the past year on XTR M975 - and also years of working on Shimano brakes, I've never broken, cracked, or kinked a hose. I think for the money Shimano hoses are fine. Pretty much all Shimano hose is the same, you can use the hose for the older XTR brakes if you simply cut the banjo end off the hose. Of course you'll need the compression olive, barbed fitting, and compression bolt/hose fixing bolt (1 each for each end of the hose), but any good shop should have those parts available at low cost separately. Just make sure you cut the hose very square and with something very sharp. Don't use diagonal or cable cutters - if you don't have a hose cutter, use a sharp razor blade and a block of wood.
    Alison Dunlap Coaching
    When you're not paid to ride.

mtbr member
    Yip, shimano hose is fine. Goodridge upgrade is very pricey and heavier I'd imagine. Just get the deore hose (two straight-in fittings) -BH59 as you already know.