mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Hose Replacement

I managed to tear the black housing on a set of Avid Juicy 5s in a crash (head badge rivets tore the housing jacket).

The inner sleeve is visible, but intact. It's a woven white hose.

My questions:
    -How important is it to replace the hoses right now?
    -What's the best direction to take with replacements?
    - I know a lot of folks like the goodridge hoses, but they are spendy.
    - I can't have an auto brake shop make up hoses in any way...right?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    It's a safety issue. Even if the brake still works, I wouldn't ride it. It may burst on a hard squeeze causing instant brake loss. Unlikely, but it would seriously suck if it did. Right?

Avid's caliper fitting is permenantly crimped onto the hose and I don't know how to get a replacement without buying the entire hose/fitting assembly.

http://www.amazon.com/Avid-Juicy-Dis.../dp/B002SGAVJE

or

http://www.niagaracycle.com/product_...ucts_id=435466

Tool
    As stated above, you'll need a replacement that's specific to Avid Juicy since the banjo is permanently attached.

You will also need a bleed kit if you don't already have one. Given how your old one was damaged, this will be a good time to evaluate the routing of that hose (it could be that you have no other routing options on your bike, but you may also have a better option than what resulted in damage tot he hose) - keep this in mind before trimming the new hose.

If you shop via phone calls to LBS', keep in mind the replacement hoses come in multiple lengths.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.