mtbr member
    Oct 2004

HOPE X2 vs. Tech M4

I am struggling with choosing the right brake for my riding style and was hoping for some input. I am looking at either the HOPE X2 or Tech M4.
    Bike setup:
    Titus El Guapo (155mm rear travel)
    TALAS 36
    I9 Enduro Hubs

I weigh 180 lbs with gear and enjoy aggressive trail riding. Will the X2's hold up with a 183mm rotor or do I take the additional 300 grams with the M4s ?

I am currently running the Hayes Stroker Trail (180mm rotor f/r)

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Don't they both use the same lever and disc, so it's only the caliper weight that is different, i doubt that gets anywhere near 300g!

Unless ofcourse you are talking about the mono mini pro.

I say go for the Tech M4.
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    You are absolutely correct. I am looking at a 200 gram difference for front and rear brakes. Not 300 grams. The X2 pros would be 300 grams.

mtbr member
    Go for the Mono M4's. You'll regret it if you don't. They're a better all around brake (in my opinion). I've own both. The mono mini (X2) is for more of a light weight cross country type brake. The X4 is most suited for almost anything. I've always used 200 front/180 rear and I've never been let down. The adjustability of the Tech levers is pretty cool too (and it works)!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SEA_MTBR
    You are absolutely correct. I am looking at a 200 gram difference for front and rear brakes. Not 300 grams. The X2 pros would be 300 grams.
    Are you sure about those weights?

I've just got some Tech M4's (haven't used them yet though!) and the front was 270g with standard hose with the rear +10g. That is for the lever, hose and caliper only.

I seriously doubt that the Tech X2 is 170g.

Either way i'd say go for the M4 as it's more of an allrounder, just saying that you won't be carrying as much extra weight as you think.
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

mtbr member
    Bikerader just posted a review of the new Hope Tech X2's

Don't seem to work well with SRAM X.0 triggers, although the Avid Matchmaker's can be mounted.

To have some power, at least an 183mm disc is still needed, whereas the competition (Magura Marta SL, Avid Elixir, Formula R1, etc) is ok with 160mm

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I was including the weight of the rotors as well. The difference is about 100 grams each (350g for the X2 and 458 for the M4).

I have a set of the Marta SLs and they lack the power required for the bike. However, the modulation is fantastic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Read the Bikeradar review which was interesting, I am interested in the Tech M4's and was a little disappointed to hear they are tight with SRAM X.0, as that is what I have. Did the review mean that the Avid matchmakers could be used to mount the Tech levers with the X.0 or just that hope were lining up to produce their own version of the matchmaker for this application? Sorry I may be being thick here!

Does anyone on this forum work for Hope or have a contact?

Also any real world feedback on the new Hope stuff would be gratefully received.

...idios...
    "Does anyone on this forum work for Hope or have a contact?"

Just give them a call direct (link).

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

banned
    Also any real world feedback on the new Hope stuff would be gratefully received.
    Did you check the search, maybe? Say, all within the last few weeks?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks for th responses to my questions based upon this thread, I will give Hope a ring, but hoped someone viewing this forum might have some info, as I do not suppose anyone will be at home at Hope until Monday morning. I have been viewing this forum over the past few months, scanning for info on the new Hope Tech stuff, but there has been very little actually posted about it, mention of a German magazine test on the X2's but little in the way of in depth user reviews of actual Tech M4's unless I have missed one?

banned
    You might have missed them.

emtb.pl
    I am using Tech V2 (front) and Tech M4 (rear). I weigh 205-215 w/o gear and I'd never consider X2's. I have a friend though, who is 160 w/o gear and received his X2's two days ago - he used to run Minis and he was quite confident with that setup. Very confident I'd say He will be running a 203 (not sure X2 or M4) rotor front and 180 rear as his terrain is quite steep. I can give details in a week or so.
    It is sooo dependable on your braking skills...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I've been looking for user feedback too and haven't seen much. The MBR review of the X2 slated the lever (?bleed problem) but said the caliper was good. The recent MBUK review of the Tech X2 was very positive ('most wanted' awarded).

MBUK have their annual disc brake review coming out in their 14th Jan issue so I'm hanging on for that.

I'm torn between X2 180/160 and Tech M4 180/160. The compromise would be Tech M4 180 front, X2 160 rear but that means carrying two sets of spare pads and that will eat into the weight difference of (only) 100g for X2 vs. M4.

So I might as well get tech M4 front and rear. But that seems overkill for my riding, so I'm back to square one!!

banned
    While I really love the feel of the new ones as a new standard in the industry, I am still waiting for feedback on how the Tech levers handle impacts. As it stands, the Moto lever has the adjustments, though not the feel.

I still need a right hand moto lever!

mtbr member
    Hold on until mid- january, then Germany's Mountainbike Magazine will have a big brake test. Will post some info when I have the mag.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    While I really love the feel of the new ones as a new standard in the industry, I am still waiting for feedback on how the Tech levers handle impacts. As it stands, the Moto lever has the adjustments, though not the feel.

I still need a right hand moto lever!
    When I called Hope to order my brake set I asked about the durability of the levers. I was told "testing" has shown that they hold up very well to impact. I can say from lokking at them on my bike, that they are not built like a sram part, They have some "meat" to them. Plus, the levers spring foward.

banned
    I'm talking about the knobs.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    I'm talking about the knobs.
    That would be the specific part I asked about. Sorry I didn't clarify.