mtbr member

Hope X2 pad "upgrade"

Is there a pad upgrade to the nex X2 brakes that will help me stop better/faster?

I just started using these brakes to serve as an upgrade to what I was using previously (Juicy Ultimate / juicy 7 calipers), as I wanted something with more modulation and prograssiveness in braking. Previous setup was very on-and-off.

Now, I am really having to squeeze the heck out of these levers to get myself to stop. Normally I am used to riding with just my index finger on the levers, but in order to stop now, I am having to two finger these things.

I understand there is a break-in period, and although I have about 3 rides on the new setup, I really do hope this improves quick!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    If you are using organic pads (which come stock on hope brakes) you could try switching to sintered, they will be a bit noisier but will stop alot better.

mtbr member
    Did you break in the pads and rotors correctly?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sascwatch View Post
    If you are using organic pads (which come stock on hope brakes) you could try switching to sintered, they will be a bit noisier but will stop alot better.
    Good to know. I am going to keep as is to give these things a chance, but if it doesn't improve, I will go with your suggestion.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    It's too bad about the X2s. They look very trick, come in at a decent weight, but all reports lead me to believe they just don't stop all that well. The metal pads should help, but there appears to be a weakness inherent in the design of these brakes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I have been running X2's for two years and they have been great, lots of power and great modulation. I would bleed and do a proper setting in of pads and disc. My X2's needed a bleed out of the box. I purchased sintered pads to go with Ashima rotors (didn't want to burn up my Hope discs in CO) but ended up going with the Hope discs and pads.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k1creeker View Post
    It's too bad about the X2s. They look very trick, come in at a decent weight, but all reports lead me to believe they just don't stop all that well. The metal pads should help, but there appears to be a weakness inherent in the design of these brakes.
    Hopefully its due to me only having 2 - 3 rides on them or else that was a big waste of $500. I weigh approximately 210# without gear??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 41ants View Post
    Hopefully its due to me only having 2 - 3 rides on them or else that was a big waste of $500. I weigh approximately 210# without gear??
    No the brakes are more than fine. Break them in correctly and or get new pads if these were somehow corroded. More disinformation on the net, but these are very powerful brakes.

mtbr member
    I did what I normally do with break-in, which worked well with my previous sets.... Ride on the street and get up to 19mpg and gradually bring myself to crawl using progressive lever pull. Worked in the past and this is how I do it on my motorcycles.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by 41ants View Post
    I did what I normally do with break-in, which worked well with my previous sets.... Ride on the street and get up to 19mpg and gradually bring myself to crawl using progressive lever pull. Worked in the past and this is how I do it on my motorcycles.
    Close . . . you want to brake HARD a few times too (without completely stopping). Also, get em REAL hot and then douse them with cold clean water to hear them sizzle. After that you should notice a BIG difference.

FWIW, I have read reports of the Hope pads/rotors taking 1000km to break-in . . . not sure I quite believe that, but they do seem to take a while, and 2-3 runs is DEFINITELY not going to do it.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Try metal sintered pads or even EBC Red pads.

I have the Tech M4s which are also very progressive (however I have no issues with power and weigh 200-210lbs geared up) and I've found that I can run a very bitey pad but it still doesn't feel on-off due to the progressive nature of the brake. Then I have oodles of power... even for DH... on my AM bike (Scott Ransom).

Also, I run a metal sintered pad in the front and an organic in the back when riding regular trails though. I use Nukeproof DH compound pads when DH riding and have found these pads are so bitey at slower trail speeds that they shudder (but are wonderfully smooth and powerful at high speeds). I haven't tried EBC Red pads yet but I would imagine from what others have said here that they would be powerful and smooth at slower speeds also? Just guessing though. I'll try them out when I get the chance.

I have Juicy 7 brakes on another bike (Cannondale Moto)... these feel more on-off like you said but compared to my M4s still lack overall power... significantly. I might also try EBC Red pads on these brakes... if I don't replace them with Hopes or XTs.

I think it'll just be about finding the right pad for you but if all else fails perhaps you could put a M4 on the front?

Pick a wheel size...
    I have the X2s and went through the same "where's the power?" when they were brand new. After just a few rides, and a bit of breaking in they are now as fantastic as advertised.

Be patient and you'll find you've got more brake than you need ;-)

mtbr member
    Another thing!

Seeming as they're more progressive (and if power doesn't improve on its own after a few more rides which it probably will) you could always get bigger rotors to increase power rather than change the whole front brake like I suggested earlier... As long as your not a worried about weight?

Good luck!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    Another thing!

Seeming as they're more progressive (and if power doesn't improve on its own after a few more rides which it probably will) you could always get bigger rotors to increase power rather than change the whole front brake like I suggested earlier... As long as your not a worried about weight?

Good luck!
    Yes, even though I weigh 210# I am an in the closet weight weenie , which is surprising I went with these instead of the forumula or xx world cups, but I really was after that progressive feedback.

mtbr member
    Saturday update. Did a morning ride today and did a caliper realignment because I was using a new set of wheels... Much better feel on the brakes today. Modulation is much improved and the power is starting to come on much stronger. Still need a few more rides and I think/hope I am good to go.

mtbr member
    Jam them with a good hill, and they will be perfect. I have always noticed if I got water on them, I would have to repeat the long hill thing, but after each time, the brakes would be perfect. That's with the stock pads, I am running ebc red front to back, and they seem to not need as much break in as the stock pads.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by mazspeed View Post
    Jam them with a good hill, and they will be perfect. I have always noticed if I got water on them, I would have to repeat the long hill thing, but after each time, the brakes would be perfect. That's with the stock pads, I am running ebc red front to back, and they seem to not need as much break in as the stock pads.
    How do you like the EBC reds?

addicted to chunk
    Mine took a good month of riding to get full power.
    Riding.....

mtbr member
    It's really easy to 'polish' pads as well, especially if you're running them in and being gentle. If they have glazed up then give them a quick dress with some W&D paper to rough the surface.
    Using yesterday's technology, to create tomorrow's problems, today.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    How do you like the EBC reds?
    Just a really good upgrade. Just sticker. Although I have been told they don't last as long, but after 200 miles, which is really not that much, they look like new. I don't know how they perform in the wet though.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by mazspeed View Post
    Just a really good upgrade. Just sticker. Although I have been told they don't last as long, but after 200 miles, which is really not that much, they look like new. I don't know how they perform in the wet though.
    I'm not worried about wet conditions at all . . . SoCal is like a dustbowl most of the year. I don't mind them wearing out quick if they work well . . . I think I'm going to give these a shot when the current stockers wear out. I like the quiet of resin pads, but if they don't do it for me, then they don't do it and I'll give sintered a try.