mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Hope V4 with floating rotor on IS mounts- does this look normal?

Hello,

I've just installed some Hope V4s on to my IS standard forks. Got the 'J' type adaptor. Correct rotor model. Problem is, I don't think the pads are fully covering the rotor.

As you can see in the pic, after bedding in, the inside diameter of the breaking band on the rotor is left unused.

I had a look at a couple of other threads here featuring Hope's floating rotors, and from the pics I saw, all of the braking band on the rotor appears to be in full contact with the pads when they're correctly (?) set up.

Can anyone please tell me if my set-up is normal, or something to look into, and fix (with a file I assume...)?

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hope V4 with floating rotor on IS mounts- does this look normal?-photo-13-05-13-10-43-58-am.jpg  

mtbr member
    It all depends on the hub. The floating hope rotor has been known to be problematic at times, normally with fox forks, but sometimes you have to shim or add washers to get them to fit, but you can use a shamino 2 piece rotor if you like, and that should work. I did that on my latest SLR build. Also the V4 is built for the post mount.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    183mm rotor ?

Adapter on the right way ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Damnit!

Thanks for your replies guys.

cobba, I had just finished flipping my adaptor around the other way as I came back to the PC. I had no idea the adaptor was asymmetric longways- both sides looked symetric to me.

But clearly it is. Pads now fully cover the breaking band.

The problem: the caliper is now fully over to the right, making adjustments over the rotor impossible. That's why I flipped it over in the first place (without checking the pad contact issue first). Looks like I'll be filing away some adaptor material tonight.

Thanks again guys.