Knollician

Hope V2s Vs. Formula Ones, my opinion

So I just purchased a set of Hope Tech V2s in 203/183 floating rotors (not vented) and mounted them up today. I went for a quick ride and immediatly have developed some short term opinions.

I have owned The Ones since they came out, I bought one of the first set of Minaars, then a black set for my Highline when I bought that, so i have lots of time on the Ones.

Let me start by saying that I LOVE my Ones. I have never found a brake that is so nice, but there are a few things that bother me, and as it has been hashed over and over, I will repeat.

1. Lever throw - I got used to it after a while and now it is just natural.
    2. Seems as the pads wear, the lever throw increases
    3. Quick pad wear, even in dry conditions.
    4. The necessity to remove the system from the bike to bleed.
    5. Formula steup instructions. SERIOUSLY, WATCH THE HOPE SETUP VIDEOS, FOLLOW THEM, AND ANY BRAKE WILL WORK MUCH BETTER. This also helped with the lever throw issue a bit.

Once I saw a set of the new Tech levers, and played with them a bit, I was in love. Here is what i have noticed after a short ride.
    1. the brakes are about 200 grams heavier than my 200/180 One setup
    2. The braided lines are very nice, but difficult to cut perfectly
    3. The hardware is reusable. I cut the lines once, decided i wanted to cut a bit more and didn't have to worry about buying another shortening kit.
    4. The adjustability of the caliper is better than the Formula. I had to shim the adapter on the Ones
    5. The bleed process is as simple as can be, a bit messy though. Definately quicker too.
    6. The levers are SWEET, as is the adjustment. I was looking for a shorter lever throw and i got it.
    7. Stiffer, I have always felt the Ones had a wierd feel at the end of the stroke, like you can keep pulling the lever, yet I had a good bleed.
    8. Power - forget it, the V2s are stupid. I thought the Ones were powerful.
    9. modulation, good, not like the Formula though.
    10. Quiet. I have heard of some people complaining about squeaky brakes, they must not be setup right. I spent lots of time aligning the caliper and centralizing the pistons
    11. Pads - probably 2x the size of the One pads.
    12. No small seals

I only did a short spin, so I am working off of limited data. Of course, the product is new, so I am in the honeymoon phase. It will take some time to really get a feel for these, but I have to say intial impressions are astounding.

I also have a set on Tech M4s that i will be replacing the Ones on my Spot tomorrow. I will be running 183/160 floating there. I suspect I will not be dissapointed there either.
    Last edited by tiSS'er; 05-29-2009 at 09:05 PM.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

I think I need to Upgrade
    "5. The bleed process is as simple as can be, a bit messy though. Definately quicker too."

There are things that can be done tomake it a cleaner process, how are you bleeding them? setup?

Something else you forgot to mention, replacement parts such as seals are a phone call away for Hope, they have a distrubution office in Texas I think, and they are a great group of people.

banned
    It's a bit late, but SteveUK and myself have both provided tips on cutting the lines. Steve has a tutorial on it, and my only addition to it was that trimming can be done by wrapping the end in electrical tape very tightly, then cutting with a dremel (a thing I learned cutting braided automotive hosing). The edge will be pretty good. Then a bit of the sheath has to be removed, olive opened, and installed. Hope's instructions at the time I did mine really sucked.

Got mine from Scuba. Still loving it.

mtbr member
    The Formula brakes don't automatically adjust for pad wear. You have to remove the wheel or the caliper and pump the brake a few times to manually bring the pads closer to the rotor.
    Pivot Firebird, Tomac Snyper, KTM 250SX

banned
    I'm looking forward to hearing how the new M4 with the tech levers stacks up against the V2 with the tech levers.

Hope to hear some more thoughts!

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    I'm looking forward to hearing how the new M4 with the tech levers stacks up against the V2 with the tech levers.

Hope to hear some more thoughts!
    I got out on the V2s today for a jump session. I had to continually back off the pad contact as the brakes are stupid strong. Now they feel great, much more like the Formulas in terms of modulation, but with more power. The lever feel is better for me as well, it is more solid.

I mounted up the M4s this afternoon and I was quite surprised. The power is pretty close to that of the Ones, maybe even equal. I was able to easily do sitting stoppies on the pavement. The lever feels just like the V2s, just not as much as fast. I think these will be simply brilliant brakes.

A few questions for those that know, what stock brake pad compounds are included with the M4 and V2? They look to be organic. Should I be worrried about pad wear on the V2 stock pads for my 6 day trip to Whistler?

And most importantly, On the M4s, and the V2 to an extent, I have very little pad clearance. They nearly touch the rotors. Is there a solution for this? I ensured that I did not overfill the reservior. I did completely flush and bleed the brakes with Valvoline DOT4. The pistons look to be well lubricated. I spent nearly an hour working on centralizing the pads with little gain. I do not have any serious rubbing, I am more worried about a bent rotor (all rotors are floating). I did notice the little rubbing I had on the V2 disappeared. I suspect maybe the rotor straightened itself out a bit after some use?
    Last edited by tiSS'er; 05-30-2009 at 08:17 PM.

not so super...
    My V2 pads have always run very close to the rotor as do the mini's on the XCE. My V2's came with sintered metallic pads.
    Nothing to see here.

banned
    If the pads look black, you have organic. I noted they started shipping them with the organics in 2007, though certain markets may still have gotten the gold/metallics.

I can't say about whether they will last, but I will keep metallics on hand. i did some several day tours with the organics and they worked fine and lasted, but I don't trust any pads on trips without extras. The m4's use easy to get shimano xt755 pads.

I also noted, in the case of the V2, that the onset of powerwas a bit smoother with the metallics. Less grabiness and more ultimate power. I would get at least a set of each from Hope beforethe trip and keep the OEM's as spares.

They will run close, perhaps scrape, but will resolve when the seals break in.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    So what bike are you running the M4's on?? I am looking for some new brakes for my 6" bike and really like my X2's so I was looking for some Hopes and thin the V2 may be overkill. They are a bit heavier too if I remember.

I have some Magura Louise on there now and am really unhappy with them. They came with the build though so I cannot complain too much.

Thanks
    J
    I like to ride Bikes. This might be turning into an obsession, not sure?

www.cyclng.com

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by jjcools
    So what bike are you running the M4's on?? I am looking for some new brakes for my 6" bike and really like my X2's so I was looking for some Hopes and thin the V2 may be overkill. They are a bit heavier too if I remember.

I have some Magura Louise on there now and am really unhappy with them. They came with the build though so I cannot complain too much.

Thanks
    J
    V2s are certainly an option, but they are STRONG and heavy. The M4 is on my 5.5 Spot and seem to be a great fit. The power is tremendous, I love the feel of the lever, and they modulate well. All of this and I have yet to even bed in the pads. The M4s weight about the same as any other AM brake, but of course it is as sturdy and purdy as anything out there

PM Nevegal for more info and pricing.

Kid disguised as an adult
    Quote Originally Posted by jjcools

Thanks
    J
    I don't mean to sidetrack the thread, but what don't you like about the Magura Louise brakes? Just curious as I'm looking for new brakes, can't afford Hopes and was considering Louise BATs.

DGB
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    ric - I recently got a set of new 180/180 Magura Louise BATs (with SL Rotors) to replace 185/185 Juicy 7s that I didn't get on with (not enough modulation). I only have them about a week but they're far superior to the J7s in terms of modulation and IMO power. They're very similar to the XT (M775) on my other bike only more powerful.
    I haven't had a chance to try them in the wet as it hasn't rained for a few days, but that won't last long. That will be the real acid test for them.
    The only thing I found with them is that they took a long time to bed in compared to the J7s and XTs but it was well worth it. So far, they're excellent and I'm glad I made the switch.

Legend
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tiSS'er
    I got out on the V2s today for a jump session. I had to continually back off the pad contact as the brakes are stupid strong. Now they feel great, much more like the Formulas in terms of modulation, but with more power. The lever feel is better for me as well, it is more solid.

I mounted up the M4s this afternoon and I was quite surprised. The power is pretty close to that of the Ones, maybe even equal. I was able to easily do sitting stoppies on the pavement. The lever feels just like the V2s, just not as much as fast. I think these will be simply brilliant brakes.

A few questions for those that know, what stock brake pad compounds are included with the M4 and V2? They look to be organic. Should I be worrried about pad wear on the V2 stock pads for my 6 day trip to Whistler?

And most importantly, On the M4s, and the V2 to an extent, I have very little pad clearance. They nearly touch the rotors. Is there a solution for this? I ensured that I did not overfill the reservior. I did completely flush and bleed the brakes with Valvoline DOT4. The pistons look to be well lubricated. I spent nearly an hour working on centralizing the pads with little gain. I do not have any serious rubbing, I am more worried about a bent rotor (all rotors are floating). I did notice the little rubbing I had on the V2 disappeared. I suspect maybe the rotor straightened itself out a bit after some use?
    You should easily be able to get replacement pads in Whistler should yours wear out; this place is a playground for the newest toys.