b a n n e d

Hope Users: How often do you bleed?

I know there's a few of you regulars that run a Hope setup . . . how often are you bleeding your system?

I just bled the F/R, replacing all 4 diaphragms and flushing about 2oz of fresh DOT 5.1 through. Last time I did this was about 6 months ago and they were definitely due.

How often do you bleed?
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

b a n n e d
    Follow up question: NOW the damn lever squeaks! There are two possible points of noise . . . either the lever pivot or something on the piston . . . any ideas?

mtbr member
    I never have had to bleed once everything is done after the first install. Where is the noise coming from?

mtbr member
    Did you run it dry? The noise might be coming from the piston. Try adjusting both adjustment knobs to make the farthest throw. We want the lever to actuate all the way. Don't use silicone brake fluid. Use hayes brake fluid if you can get it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I got a pair of Hope Race EVO M4s, bled them once when I installed them. Run them for a year and recently refreshed the pads (almost to backing plate! oops!) and the rear brake was starting to feel a bit mushy. Flushed both front & rear through with Motul RBP 660 which I had to hand, a DOT4 fluid that exceeds DOT5.1 spec. Good as new!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    My tech x2 levers started to squeak after about 2 years. I bled the brakes with Motul Dot 4 and put grease between the lever and roller and that fixed my problem.

b a n n e d
    Quote Originally Posted by mazspeed View Post
    I never have had to bleed once everything is done after the first install. Where is the noise coming from?
    I'm not TOTALLY sure on where . . . I think its from the piston as it nears the end of its stroke. Note that after a trip to Mammoth bike park (where its super dusty), I have been able to hear the springs inside the piston as well.

Did you run it dry? The noise might be coming from the piston. Try adjusting both adjustment knobs to make the farthest throw. We want the lever to actuate all the way. Don't use silicone brake fluid. Use hayes brake fluid if you can get it.
    Did not run it dry, but in the process of replacing the bottom diaphragms, I did empty the MC. I also use SRAM's DOT5.1 (which I've come to learn MIGHT be part of my problem with needing to bleed so often).

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyJ View Post
    I got a pair of Hope Race EVO M4s, bled them once when I installed them. Run them for a year and recently refreshed the pads (almost to backing plate! oops!) and the rear brake was starting to feel a bit mushy. Flushed both front & rear through with Motul RBP 660 which I had to hand, a DOT4 fluid that exceeds DOT5.1 spec. Good as new!
    This was exactly my issue . . . spongy lever and reduced power, particularly on the rear. The front was actually fine, but while I was in there I figured what the hell . . . I may look for that Motul next bleed.

Quote Originally Posted by stumpynerd View Post
    My tech x2 levers started to squeak after about 2 years. I bled the brakes with Motul Dot 4 and put grease between the lever and roller and that fixed my problem.
    I'm not terribly fond of putting grease anywhere because it will just attract dust (I live in a dustbowl) . . . however, I was thinking of a couple drops of tri-flow at the lever pivot.

I was also thinking about a couple drops of triflow on the piston . . . thoughts?

b a n n e d
    And while I'm here . . . how are y'all cleaning your pistons? I live in a dustbowl and do have problems with sticky pistons.

What I do is push the pistons out a ways, wipe them off with a clean Q-tip and then drop a couple drops of brake fluid onto the piston so that it works its way between the bore and the piston via capillary action. I then push them back in, push them back out, back in, back out, etc. until things are moving freely and evenly again.

Am I being ruh'tar-dit?

Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    I know there's a few of you regulars that run a Hope setup . . . how often are you bleeding your system?

I just bled the F/R, replacing all 4 diaphragms and flushing about 2oz of fresh DOT 5.1 through. Last time I did this was about 6 months ago and they were definitely due.

How often do you bleed?

Nearly every time I change the pads, which averages about 400 miles.

This issue is actually very fresh in my mind and I'm a bit irritated over it.

Last night I spent a couple hours working on the brakes of a good friend who reported some kind of problem. The brakes have not been serviced in about two or three years, only getting the pads replaced. The brake fluid looked like MUD, with globs of floating around in it. The globs were restricting flow through the tiny ports in the lever, making actuation sluggish. I had to disassemble EVERYTHING and now it works as it should. If I was charging for this work, it might have been more economical to install new brakes.

There is no way to avoid contamination within your system, so you have only a few choices. You can bleed frequently, extending the life span of your system and maintaining peak performance, or you can forego maintenance, decreasing the life span of your system while suffering diminished performance. It's up to you.

My Rusty Knee
    I probably should have bled mine some time in the last 6 years then

Still seem to work...but could with a rebuild.

They are just about to be swapped for some SLX ones, but I might rebuild and bleed them as back up or use them if I build them into something.
    What exactly is a rigid hard tail?

b a n n e d
    After this most recent bleed, I'm starting to wonder if my need to bleed again after such a short period of time was due to basically, not doing it right!

I had to shorten the lines and bleed these right out of the box and this was my first run bleeding Hope's. I have constantly had problems with a slow drip out of the MC's. Now, this time around I paid painstaking attention to detail and made sure things were clean, tightened, etc. and so far I'm drip-free . . . and drip free means things aren't getting out, but more importantly things aren't getting in.

We'll see how long I can go this time around . . .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    After this most recent bleed, I'm starting to wonder if my need to bleed again after such a short period of time was due to basically, not doing it right!

I had to shorten the lines and bleed these right out of the box and this was my first run bleeding Hope's. I have constantly had problems with a slow drip out of the MC's. Now, this time around I paid painstaking attention to detail and made sure things were clean, tightened, etc. and so far I'm drip-free . . . and drip free means things aren't getting out, but more importantly things aren't getting in.

We'll see how long I can go this time around . . .
    If you're in my area I would help out. I am wondering if you may have a damaged gasket.

mtbr member
    I have been running mine for over a year now and am just about to bleed them for the first time.

As for squeak - mine squeak at the lever pivot (damn bushings) when the weather is crap and rubbish gets in there. But does not last long.

b a n n e d
    If you're in my area I would help out. I am wondering if you may have a damaged gasket.
    You mean the diaphragms? 4 brand new ones in there this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
    I have been running mine for over a year now and am just about to bleed them for the first time.

As for squeak - mine squeak at the lever pivot (damn bushings) when the weather is crap and rubbish gets in there. But does not last long.
    The squeak has actually stopped now.