mtbr member

Hope Trial Zone + aftermarket sintered pads = possible DH brake?

alrighty, I noticed that Hope has a new trials disk brake on the market, it seems to be the original Mono/Tech Trials caliper, internally at least, but with the options of either a #3 or #5 IS mount or, something new to the Zone, a 74mm post mount caliper, with all of this paired up with what appears to be a standard Race lever (not sure if it's the Race Evo or the standard Race though) with some fancy anodizing/etching and the Trial Zone logo wherever they could find room to etch it... evidently it takes standard IS-mount-caliper Mono/Tech Trials pads, and Nukeproof makes a sintered pad for the old IS-calipers. Could this be basically a Race/Race Evo V2, for some obnoxiously cheap price? The manual on Hope's website basically says "don't use for anything except trials", but I've used my Mono Trials on my 29er and even with the standard pads and 160mm rotors, they are every bit as powerful as, but have much better lever feel than, the Stroker Aces on my DH bike, which have sintered pads and 203f/180r rotors. Anyone got any input on this?
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky View Post
    My butthole would pucker and invert until I was inside-out before I got to the bottom.

meow, meow.
    They are not the same as Race/V2. Lever is based on Race, but different. It is claimed to be compatible with all Hope calipers, including V2. PM caliper is different too. It's got large pistons, small (think X2) bore cap and bottom loading pads. There are also IS and IS +20 calipers.

That Zone Trial lever is compatible with V2 caliper is very good. I waited for Trial Zone for almost a year but had to assemble my own pair of Race V2 because I built the bike (Transition Bank) much sooner than Hope released the Zone. And I can safely say that Race lever is NOT compatible with V2 caliper. It pumps less fluid per stroke, so that to avoid levers going to the bars I had to overfill the brakes, resulting in Formula-like pad-to-rotor clearances. Since I have all the involved surfaces faced or factory machined, and only ride this bike in fair weather and in sub freezing temperatures, the rotors never make a sound when brakes are not applied.

I like my Race V2 brakes very much, would only trade them for Trial Zone lever/V2 caliper combos. Or maybe for an all-out set of Trial Zone. Speaking of which, I'm planning to try using Trial Zone brakes (or Zone/V2 combos) on a couple of my other bikes.
    26" faithful.