mtbr member
    Dec 2005

hope tech x2 or tech M4 for XC?

Hey guys I just need some input on which brake system would suit my needs best. I am about 160lbs without gear. I currently do mostly cross country/single track. The main place I ride does have some nice fast technical descents that require some hard breaking. I am leaning towards the tech x2 for weight reasons (I am a little bit of a weight wennie).

Keep in mind this is my first set of disc brakes, I have been a V brake hold out. I have been burning through pads a lot since its been a pretty wet season, so I have had it with the V's. I believe in doing things once and doing it right, and have been saving for these a while. I love the hopes, I just dont want to go overkill.

Thanks.

JMC

...idios...
    Why not one of each? 183mm front M4 and a 160mm X2. A sweet set-up which would give you something to grow into, too. Better brakes are probably going to change your riding. They're going to give you confidence to go faster, brake later (or not at all!!) and tackle trails in a totally different way. The M4/X2 mix is probably the most versatile set-up one can use, especially with the easy adjustment/tuning of the Tech lever.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    Why not one of each? 183mm front M4 and a 160mm X2. A sweet set-up which would give you something to grow into, too. Better brakes are probably going to change your riding. They're going to give you confidence to go faster, brake later (or not at all!!) and tackle trails in a totally different way. The M4/X2 mix is probably the most versatile set-up one can use, especially with the easy adjustment/tuning of the Tech lever.
    I hadnt thought of that, seems like a pretty solid idea.

JMC

mtbr member
    Having used Hayes and Avid over the last few years, I have been on Hope Tech X2 for the last couple of months. These are the smoothest, most powerful and best feeling brakes I have ever used.
    Gary Fisher Superfly
    Gary Fisher (sorry - Trek) Marlin SS
    Lemond Fillmore
    Klein Q Carbon Team Chorus/Record

I think I need to Upgrade
    For your weight and what/how you are riding you could go with X2 front and rear, or M4 front and X2 rear with out any issues what so ever. You realy can't go wrong regardless of what direction you decide to go with Hope brakes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I ended up going with the m4 front and x2 rear with a 183/160 rotor set up. It should be fun! Thanks for all the input.

JMC

I think I need to Upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by JMCCRNA
    I ended up going with the m4 front and x2 rear with a 183/160 rotor set up. It should be fun! Thanks for all the input.

JMC

Excelent choice/setup, you won't ever have to worry about running out of brakes with that .

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveUK
    I have this combo on my 5 Spot and love it. I can't think of anything I'd change.

banned
    I've got m4's front and back they stay centered and have the best modulation I have ever used.I went through all the avid's it took a while to find out Hope is the best!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Update:

I have been running the mixed M4 front and X2 rear for a few rides and I love them! Great all around set. Its leaps and bounds better than my v brakes and I am still breaking in the pads. My down hills are way more controlled and I can carry a ton more speed and still hit the turns in control.

I had a few minor issues with the install but nothing major. Issue one was the length of the lever required me to move them inside of the shifter in order to put the lever were I like it. It fits great but it cost me my XT indicators. I never really new how much I used them till they were gone. I am getting used to life without them but I do find myself trying to look at my cassette which is no good. Old habits die hard.

The second issue was the floating rotor (the middle portion) was rubbing my fox talas post mount. It was a easy fix with a file no big deal. I just faced it a bit. It did make climbing on my first ride a bit of work though.

It did take a while to center the caliper. I had to follow the video instructions and move the pistons back to finally get them to move equal. Since then its been set and forget.

Great brakes. Great lever adjustability. All the guys I ride with are drooling so the bling factor is there for sure.

JMC