How much does it weigh?

Hope Tech X2 brake pads for AM/FR bike?

I've had my X2s for almost a year now.

They will be coming off my Fatback with 6" rotors, and going on an IronHorse 7Point for a while, till I can afford a set of M4s.

I'm a bit worried I won't have enough power, with 8" front and 7" rear rotor.

I see there is quite a few different aftermarket pads available, all of which I have zero experience with.

I've never considered aftermarket pads, but if I can spend $20 to get my brakes biting hard enough to thrash my new ride, I'm happy. Saves me $180 per wheel for the time being.

Unless someone has used X2s for AM/FR? And knows if they will have enough power? I've got no idea on how well rotor size scaling up will affect the power on these.

I had Elixir CRs before, but for a snow bike, they were horrid in the winter, needed bleeding constantly. Went from 8" rotors on a Banshee Wildcard, which could easily throw your face into the pavement, to 6" rotors on the Fatback, which could still slow you down super fast, but definitely no stoppies without some body language. I'm hoping the X2s with 8" front rotor could be near the Elixir CRs with 7" rotors *cross fingers* I'm more than happy with a bit less power than Elixirs, but if they're boiling like crazy and scary to ride, I'll cry a river for sure.

Basically I just need to know what pads you guys have tried, and would recommend, for beefing up the X2 with some more power, so I don't wrap myself around a tree.

For anyone interested, here is my build so far.

Waiting on....

WTB i23 rims, King rear, Hope front hub, new style WTB Weirwolf's, -2 degree Works headset, X0 shifter/derailleur.

After riding just the snow bike for a year and a half, I really miss my suspension, and riding trails (with any sort of speed).

b a n n e d
    Interested to know what others think. I'm considering the EBC Red's next, and if those don't do it then I'll try the EBC Gold.

FWIW, I have an M4 up front and an X2 in the back with 183mm rotors and with the stock organic pads, I'd not be too eager to ride with an X2 out front. It really lacks the power and cooling for longer AM descents. As it is, the rear heats up like hell and really loses power quick. The M4 handles it just fine, but the X2 is a much weaker brake in my experience with the stock pads. I'm really hoping the EBC's work better, otherwise I will be upgrading the X2 to an M4.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

How much does it weigh?
    Sounds like I'll be wrapping myself around a tree Haha.

At least I went 203mm up front... no choice with that fork anyways.

b a n n e d
    To be honest it's gonna be dicey for sure. The X2 is way underpowered for a front brake on anything other than XC.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

How much does it weigh?
    Hopefully I have at least enough power to ride.

The X2s with 6" rotors were enough for some local trails that I ride on the Fatback, as long as I didn't blast down the descents too fast.

SHRRALP
    Hope says you shouldn't use the X2s for FR. Officially.
    That being said, with 8" front and 7" rear, you'll be fine with the X2, especially with the Tech levers. I've seen many things more stupid than using these brakes on a longer travel bike.

Go with either the Hope or Goodridge sintered pads (same in performance). The stock organic pads (black aluminum backing) will be ok in the dry but won't handle heat or wet conditions nearly as well.
    Unless you're riding down the side of an Alp, it'll be fine.

mtbr member
    I've been using Hope brakes for 10 years. Goodridge sintered pads seem to work the best for me.

How much does it weigh?
    That's what I wanted to hear!

If I get scared, I'll buy some Goodridge Sintered pads for the time being!

If they suck more than stock, I'll come back and complain

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I am wondering the same thing, I have been using Hope X2 for a year now and soon I will need to change the pads, I am riding XC/Aggressive XC though so I don't have much problems with the power. However I come across 3 brands for the pads Original Hope, EBC and Goodridge.

Which brand should I go with? I am looking into Organic ones at the moment but would be nice to maximize the potential of my Hope X2 by buying the best possible pads.

Please let me know about your experiences with different Hope pad brands.

mtbr member
    I would never use the X2 up from for AM, let alone for FR!

For my new Jamis AMT I went with M4 front and rear running 203mm and 183mm rotors.

MarkyMark
    I've been using the stock (organic?) pads with Avid two piece HSX rotors. The HSX rotors provide more stopping power than the Hope floating (saw) rotors.