Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Hope Tech V4

Knollician

Hope Tech V4

Anyone on these yet? How do they compare to the M4s? Anywhere available to purchase in the states?
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight

mtbr member
    Only just released at Euro bike, so probably not available til next year. Meant to be the successor to the V2, so a whole hell of a lot more powerful than the M4.

Email Hope US to find out more.

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalom View Post
    Only just released at Euro bike, so probably not available til next year. Meant to be the successor to the V2, so a whole hell of a lot more powerful than the M4.

Email Hope US to find out more.
    Hope says they were released last week. CRC appears to have them in stock. Might have to jump on a set.

mtbr member
    Go for it! Would love a ride report. Apologies - normally they take a while. Hence their seatpost is named Eternity....

b a n n e d
    Oy I can't wait . . . I'll be on these for sure for my next build.
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OO7 View Post
    Oy I can't wait . . . I'll be on these for sure for my next build.
    Haha, definitely between these and the new Saints...

mtbr member
    You can get them from hope in Texas right?

b a n n e d
    Haha, definitely between these and the new Saints...
    Saint's do indeed look the part, but I REALLY like the simplicity and adjustability of the Hope's. That and the lever ergonomics just fit me better.

mtbr member
    Saint's do indeed look the part, but I REALLY like the simplicity and adjustability of the Hope's. That and the lever ergonomics just fit me better.
    I would agree with you there. And the Hope's are just plain sexy

Knollician
    Plus they are completely rebuildable, you can get parts, customer service, etc...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    So whilst I was looking at bike pr0n... I came upon (sorry for pun) this on an Italian website:

Hope Tech V4-1283_img_0968.jpg

Hope Tech V4-1283_img_0971.jpg

Hope Tech V4-1283_img_0970.jpg

What gives? Hope's website lists the regular silver/black version and the all black "Stealth" edition only... nothing about any other colour combination.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    those are nice, will have to get some when they are available

b a n n e d
    I bet those are custom one-offs that company makes. Take the stock silver and blacks and you can have them anodized what ever color you want.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StanleyJ View Post
    So whilst I was looking at bike pr0n... I came upon (sorry for pun) this on an Italian website:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1283_IMG_0968.JPG 
Views:	3743 
Size:	75.3 KB 
ID:	729864

Name:	1283_IMG_0971.JPG 
Views:	3497 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	729865

Name:	1283_IMG_0970.JPG 
Views:	4259 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	729866

What gives? Hope's website lists the regular silver/black version and the all black "Stealth" edition only... nothing about any other colour combination.
    They look like a special edition for one of their pro athletes. I forget who, but he has all red anodised Hope bits hanging from his bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I bet those are custom one-offs that company makes. Take the stock silver and blacks and you can have them anodized what ever color you want.
    They look like a special edition for one of their pro athletes. I forget who, but he has all red anodised Hope bits hanging from his bike.
    Kill two birds with one stone... from what I ascertain from the Italian, this is an actual option. If they just colour-anodised the regular silver parts, then the laser etched stuff would be coloured too (see i9 "Black I"/"Red I" wheelsets, with "double dipped" hubs). Bit crazy to laser-etch them a second time (what with reverse engineering the etching, alignment, etc). Plus that isn't "all red", of whichever pro athletes is supposed to have on their bike. I fired an email off to Hope UK and see what they have to say for themselves about those strange V4s... if they reply at all.

In the meantime, I'd like to see a ride report. The V4s are supposed to be about 15% more powerful than the superseded V2 on the same rotor diameter. So V4+160mm ~= V2+183mm, V4+183mm ~=V2+203mm. V4+203mm = insane. That also means a V4 with a puny 160mm rotor (as the rotors across the range are common once more) is comparable to an M4 with 203mm rotors. Ouch.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dart @ Hope UK
    Hi, we sometimes do a special run for some of our export companies, but
    unfortunately they aren't available in UK shops. Sorry about that.

Cheers,
    Dart.
    From the horses mouth... turns out DSB Bonandrini is the Italian distributor. Explains some gold, blue and gunsmoke coloured 1st Gen Tech X2s I saw in Hong Kong a few years back. Looks like you guys in the USA might get lucky if you give Hope USA a good nag?

Knollician
    Quote Originally Posted by StanleyJ View Post
    From the horses mouth... turns out DSB Bonandrini is the Italian distributor. Explains some gold, blue and gunsmoke coloured 1st Gen Tech X2s I saw in Hong Kong a few years back. Looks like you guys in the USA might get lucky if you give Hope USA a good nag?
    V4s ordered, should have them late this week or early next I will be sure to report back comparing them to Tech M4s.

mtbr member
    Just ordered mine as well. I will put my v2 and x2 on my new SLR.

mtbr member
    Would be keen to hear how they compare to M4 and maybe X2, but I guess that comparison would be obvious.

Oh, and pictures please

mtbr member
    Will post when I get them. I honestly don't know why I am buying them. The V2 is good, but my old 6 piston ti was better. Not a little better, but a LOT better than the V2, no matter how much Phil at Hope tries to tell me that the V2 is more powerful. It's not. Don't get me wrong, the V2's are really powerful, but the old 6ti was unbelievable. But the hopes are just so good, I just never have any issues with any of them. Such a set it and forget it brake.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mazspeed View Post
    But the hopes are just so good, I just never have any issues with any of them. Such a set it and forget it brake.
    Definitely agree with you there!

Knollician
    Will post when I get them. I honestly don't know why I am buying them. The V2 is good, but my old 6 piston ti was better. Not a little better, but a LOT better than the V2, no matter how much Phil at Hope tries to tell me that the V2 is more powerful. It's not. Don't get me wrong, the V2's are really powerful, but the old 6ti was unbelievable. But the hopes are just so good, I just never have any issues with any of them. Such a set it and forget it brake.
    Agreed. I love Hope brakes, honestly, other than wanting more power, there is no reason to replace my M4s, they just work. I have tried nearly all brakes, from Avid to Shimano to Formula, and I like Hopes the best.

I loved the Tech V2s, but I think some of your power comments came from the flexy caliper. I was told it was "tuned flex" which is what gave them such great modulation.

I am hoping the new V4 has the smooth power delivery of the M4s If the power claims are true, then this brake will be rediculous.

mtbr member
    That's what I am thinking TiSSer. I use the EBC reds on the V2's and the x2's as well and it helps. I think the V4's should be about 20 percent better, but will find out. Phil told me that I had to order new disc's as well, and I did, but will see if they are the same as the old ones. He did tell me at one time that the V2's took a wider disc, and it doesn't. If he does this again I won't be happy with him.

mtbr member
    The red and black ones look really slick.

Knollician
    That's what I am thinking TiSSer. I use the EBC reds on the V2's and the x2's as well and it helps. I think the V4's should be about 20 percent better, but will find out. Phil told me that I had to order new disc's as well, and I did, but will see if they are the same as the old ones. He did tell me at one time that the V2's took a wider disc, and it doesn't. If he does this again I won't be happy with him.
    He told me my M4 rotors would work. The pads are different however. I hope he was able to ship them out today so i have them for the weekend!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast