mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Hope Tech V2 or X2 for my 575

I m going to change away my Juicy Ultimate to one of the Hope brakes stated above.
    Currently the available for stocks for me is the Tech V2 which claim to be a DH brakeset. The available rotor is 203mm floating disc for both front and rear. I wanted 180 for the rear but wat the shop have is only the 203mm rotors.
    Do u think should I wait for the Tech X2 with 180mm front and 160mm rear or just go ahead with the V2. Total weight of the V2 brakes is ard 600 gram. My current is ard 390 grams.
    Do u think the V2 brake set is overkill for my 575. Will the X2 be more powerful than the Juicy Ultimate? I dun call myself a weight weenie but given a choice, I try to get the light items.

Thanks

Below is my bike current setup.
    09 Yeti 575 Team Colour (S)
    09 Fox Float RLC 140mm
    09 Mavic Crossmax ST
    09 Juicy Ultimate White
    XTR Front D
    XTR Rear D
    XTR Crank
    XTR Cassette
    XTR Shifter
    Thomson Stem
    Thomson Seat Post
    Chris King Headset
    Fizik Gobi Saddle
    Kenda Nevegal Tubeless
    Syncros Gain Carbon Handle Bar
    Xpedo Platform Pedal

...idios...
    The X2 is Hope's cross-country brake and is infinitely better suited to your bike - and the type of riding one might expect to do on such a bike - than the V2. Although the Tech lever is adjustable enough to soften the power considerably for slow/technical sections, the V2 is ultimately a descent brake and, in my opinion, most likely completely unsuitable for your needs. I think you would regret going for the V2 set-up on the 575.

Is there any reason why you missed out the Tech M4? It's probably the best all-round brake on the market; a position cemented by the feel/adjustments of the new lever. A not uncommon set-up is a 183mm front M4 with 160mm rear X2, giving a strong, easily controllable, well-balanced and relatively light braking system.

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    I'm with Steve. If the M4 is an option, go with that. It is a very good all-around brake.

mtbr member
    Just replaced my Juicy's with Tech M4's on my Knolly. A very nice improvement. I always loved the J7's (even though I replaced the levers and hose), but the Hopes are smoother with more power. (They also aren't hard on the eyes either )

Another vote for the M4's.

I also agree that the V2 is overkill for your set up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I guess I missed out the M4. Currently no stocks available too... If I go for the M4, is 200mm front and 180mm rear too much for my ride... Or 180mm front and 160mm rear is more suitable. My current is running 180 front and 160 rear too and what worries me is there wont be any much different in the braking power if I run the same rotor size. Is it always the case where the front gotta be bigger than the rear? Or could I run 180 both front and rear?

Thanks in advance

James

mtbr member
    Front does not have to be bigger. Main reason is to save some weight and you often don't need as much power in the rear. (once you lock up the rear the power issue is not as important since you are skidding and not braking....the Hopes have better modulation which will allow you to apply more constant pressure before locking up.)

I don't think you can wrong with either 200 front 180 rear or 180 front and rear. Do you feel like you need more power with your current set up? I run 200/180 but am not worried about weight. The M4's will have more power compared to the avids with comparable rotor sizes, but its not going to be a huge difference IMO. If you want more power than opt for the bigger rotors.

You do have a light build, so this may be a case where you can spare some weight. Personally, I have never noticed the added weight of a bigger rotor versus a smaller rotor.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I agree that a combo of the m4 front and x2 rear should work well for you. Depending on your riding weight, terrain, tire size and riding style will drive rotor size or benefits of changing rotors.

On my stumpy 120, I use a 183 front m4 + 160 rear x2 since its mostly for xc. (I find the new x2 is 10-20% more powerful than the previous mono mini). For my 2.1 rear tire it provides power that exceeds traction. On my RFX I run m4 203 front/m4 183 rear because of the large tires (2.4/2.35) and all mountain terrain. Btw, I weigh around 200lbs ready to ride.

Also, be aware that the v2 are heavy brakes - the caliper+lever+rotor are 600 grams each (depending on rotor) and designed for high speed braking - not much modulation at low speeds.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Guess I ll settle for the M4 which I missed out initially.. It seems to fall in between X2 and V2 which is wat I m looking for. The shop here only sell them as a set.. Cant match 2 type of brakes together. Now is to decide between rotor size.