mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Hope Tech V2 vs M4

Curious if anybody has time on both? I'm building a bike up for mostly DH and i'm sure the V2 caliper would be more powerful...just curious how much(if at all)? I like the fact that the M4 can use lighter rotors and that the caliper might possible be lighter too.
    I would be running a 8" rotor up front and a 7" rear.
    Any info would be great. thanks

...idios...
    How much do you weigh?

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    170 or so

...idios...
    The V2 has more bite than the M4, which is notable for its progressive modulation. You're not a particularly light rider, slightly heavier than I am, so the V2 won't be overkill. Depending on how you like your set-up, a 183mm rear V2 might still be a tad bitey, so a compromise might be a 203mm V2 at the front and 183mm M4 at the rear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    esthetically, i'd like to keep the front and rear matching. so your saying for a front brake the v2 would be noticeably better then the m4?

i owned a pair of the moto lever v2's and although i loved them, i had a couple of issues with inconsistent lever engagement. Turns out i had some from there very first run and some minor changes were made to improve this.

whats your overall thoughts on the Tech lever?

...idios...
    I like the Tech lever a lot. I use a V2 front/M6 rear on both my bikes - my SX Trail uses the Moto levers; my Orange SubZero has the Tech.

The "on-the-fly" adjusters on the Tech lever let me alter the characteristics of my brakes depending on what I'm riding, something which I find myself doing quite often on some of my local trails. I don't necessarily have to, I just like being able to. The Tech lever is very comfortable, although a couple of people have commented on the drilled holes in the blade; that they are too apparent under the finger. I don't find them to be so.

The overall feel of the Tech lever is closer to the Moto than it is to the '07-and-on Mini lever. No flex from the bar clamp and virtually none from the bushings system that replaces the traditional plastic Hope spacers. The slight rattle that used to be evident on all Hope levers is no longer there. The quality and build and typical of Hope and their design surpasses anything they've built before - it really is quite impressive.

If you've already used the Moto V2s, then you're not really missing much in terms of overall performance. The Tech lever is, at least to me, more comfortable in the hand, and the tuning options allow me to easily soften its feel on sections of trail where a less powerful brake would be more suitable. The V2 is the "bigger" brake, but the M4 still has loads of power; it's just at the end of a longer range. I don't know your riding/braking style, so can't say which brake is better, specifically. I know people who ride DH on M4s, and from my own experience I can understand why.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    nice post, thanks

Knollician
    I have M4s 183/160 on my Spot and V2s 203/183 on my Highline. The V2s are amazing. I recently spent a week in Whistler and the brakes were perfect, well except I had to keep dialing the bite point back. The brakes have so much power that I was having a hard time scrubbing speed. As Steve mentioned, the adjustments on the tech lever are great (and actually work). I also currently have the organic pads which have more initial bite than the sintered pads. As I understand the sintereds will provide a more progressive feel.

The 183 rear V2 is difficult to modulate due to the power. The M4 would make a great rear brake. The M4s are simply amazing for AM applications, but might be a little under powered for a big bike.
    "Three balls at once...who knew?" - Cotton McKnight