mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Hope Tech Mono M4, Formula The One??

Been pondering between these two as of late for an epic trail bike with 5" or so travel. I've read up a bit on both separately but nothing side by side so I figured on asking for my own info.

Since the new Tech M4 now have same 4 size pistons (16mm) how will this compare with the twin (24mm) pistons from The One in terms of power, modulation, and resistance to heat fade assuming 180mm front and 160mm rear rotors. (Granted, there are a whole slew of factors to consider here, just trying to get a broad opinion base.)

More specifically, which has larger pads?

As for the levers, between the two which is shorter in terms of physical length? That is to say, for finger placement on the lever?

And which seems to have the shorter reach/pull? I understand both have adjustable reach/pull so lets assume at max distance outward?

In terms of userfriendliness, to change pads and bleed the brakes which seem easier? I am assuming the owner/rider is mechanically inclined.

Finally, the weight weenie in me has got to know, assuming same length non-braided hoses with 180/160 rotors and all mounting hardware what does the Tech M4 and The One weigh respectively?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by verrocchio100
    Been pondering between these two as of late for an epic trail bike with 5" or so travel. I've read up a bit on both separately but nothing side by side so I figured on asking for my own info.

Since the new Tech M4 now have same 4 size pistons (16mm) how will this compare with the twin (24mm) pistons from The One in terms of power, modulation, and resistance to heat fade assuming 180mm front and 160mm rear rotors. (Granted, there are a whole slew of factors to consider here, just trying to get a broad opinion base.)

More specifically, which has larger pads?

As for the levers, between the two which is shorter in terms of physical length? That is to say, for finger placement on the lever?

And which seems to have the shorter reach/pull? I understand both have adjustable reach/pull so lets assume at max distance outward?

In terms of userfriendliness, to change pads and bleed the brakes which seem easier? I am assuming the owner/rider is mechanically inclined.

Finally, the weight weenie in me has got to know, assuming same length non-braided hoses with 180/160 rotors and all mounting hardware what does the Tech M4 and The One weigh respectively?

Thanks!
    The Tech m4 is approx 30-40g heavier for the lever hose and caliper. The weights on Formulas website are very accurate and you can find out the Hope disc weights with a bit of searching. They probably even out if using the Hope floaters.

I have not used the Hopes for long so can't give a confident opinion although it's looking good, the Ones felt staggeringly good, like they are wired to your brain, but i sold mine for other reasons. The lever felt too thin- if you do buy them i would say get the fatter levers as standard if they offer it as an option. The pads wear very quickly and the lever travel increases as they do- even after bleeding several times i could not stop this happening. I also didn't like the location of the breather hole because it is out of view and sat against the bars- mine caused pitting on my carbon bars which went unnoticed until i took the levers off.

Changing pads is easy on both, but the Hopes are really easy to bleed whereas the Formulas are less straight forward and it helps if you have a spare set of bars knocking about because you have to rotate the whole lever 90 degrees.

The bite point adjust on both is a bit disappointing and doesn't give a full range of adjustment that would keep everyone happy. I've bled the Hopes a few times and to be honest i had expected to be able to adjust them for less lever travel than i am getting, but it's still ok. With the Ones i would wind the bite point out when i put new pads in, but after a few miles i had to wind it fully on to shorten the lever throw and then as the pads wore the levers were travelling a lot further than i liked.

I think that even if the Hopes end up not feeling quite as sweet as the Ones, i can live with that because they are a lot more practical for me. I hated the long lever throw on the Ones and the pads wore at a crazy rate- like 30 miles once in winter (sintered), whereas Hopes pads last for ages in comparison.

Maybe other people will give you a different view, but i've owned them both (and a lot of others) and thats my experience with them, hope it helps.
    You can't make a racehorse out of a donkey, but you can make a fast donkey.

banned
    Apr 2009
    My "the one" have been good across the board....I thinking of pick up a set of last years hope moto v2,they look so hot

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks fellas for the replies.....

AMCH, so I am to understand, from your personal experience, that on an overall scale you would prefer to use the M4 rather than the One on the premises of lever functionality and pad life?

Aside, I really do appreciate your thorough post AMCH, it helps out a bunch!

Thanks and keep the info comin!

mtbr member
    I have The Ones, my wife has a new set of Tech M4's. I'll echo a lot of what Horse said. The Ones are lighter, sleeker lever assembly on the bars, have great power. The Hopes look awesome, are easy to bleed, built rock solid. I think the adjustability of the Hopes is better than the Ones. The Hopes will engage with the lever farther out if you want.

Both brakes feel powerful, I know the Ones have great modulation. I don't have enough time on the Hopes to really compare but they feel strong. The biggest knock I've seen on the Hopes is that the size of the master cylinder/lever can make positioning with shifters a bit harder. I set up my wife's with SRAM triggers without a lot of problem but they are big.

I don't think you'll go wrong with either choice, if I had to buy again I might go with the Hopes for the ease of bleeding and the stellar looks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey thanks Scott for the info!

Doesn't sound like there is a "wrong" choice between the two. Guess it boils down to user friendliness and looks...so far....

Keep it comin!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Hope are now doing a "matchmarker" type clamp to mount the shifters, which may help with shifter compatibility issues.

banned
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by verrocchio100
    Hey thanks Scott for the info!

Doesn't sound like there is a "wrong" choice between the two. Guess it boils down to user friendliness and looks...so far....

Keep it comin!
    picked up a set of the hope moto v2....wow,best brake to date for me